Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a lot of info about digital cameras and such, but I have not seen any reviews about digital comcorders. I am thinking about getting one. To those who have one, can you give me some pointers on what options/features I should look for in a camcorder. And is it true that you can get still pictures from the video itself? If so, I would think that I would not have a need for a digital camera anymore, is this true, or would I want to still have my camera?

Thank you for your input in advance!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen a lot of info about digital cameras and such, but I have not seen any reviews about digital comcorders. I am thinking about getting one. To those who have one, can you give me some pointers on what options/features I should look for in a camcorder. And is it true that you can get still pictures from the video itself? If so, I would think that I would not have a need for a digital camera anymore, is this true, or would I want to still have my camera?

Thank you for your input in advance!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hubby bought me a digi camcorder 2 years ago for my birthday. I LOVE IT.I have the SONY Handycam. (there are 2 versions of it out right now, 1 records to a Mini Tape, the other to a Mini DVD. the Mini DVD can go right into your computer to upload to the tape you need the wires to connect to your computer.)
    Yes you can take still pics from the video, you and also use it as just a Still Camera as well, BUT you need to have a memory card before you can take the pics. I've gotten some really great photos off my camcorder. I still use both the Camera and camcorder equally. (memory is full on camcorder and i can't find the wire to download the pics... ).

Options and features would depend on what your looking to do. If your just looking to take pics and movies just for fun then anything basic will do. If your looking to really create fun home movies with little extras then you would need a camcorder with extra features that can do things like that. (also your editing software on your computer would help in that area as well).

My suggestion would be to go to the local store (circuit city, best buy....) and play around with some of the ones they have on display. Bring a notepad with you and jot down what you like and dislike about each one.
    Good luck in your search.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My digicamcorder is now about 7 years old, so obviously things have changed. For one...they are much smaller now....though mine is pretty small.

You can get mini-DVD or mini-tape, or even one with a built in hard drive. My brother has one of those. The main problem I have with that is that you HAVE to be close to a computer if you want to take a lot of video...you can't just put in a new tape or dvd.

For stills...I'm sure that has improved...but be sure you check the resolution of the still. Mine says it takes stills...and it does...but they are not print quality stills. But as I said...I'm sure this is improved in 7 years.

I'm guess just about any digicamcorder made now has a lot of editing features built in. Even mine does. (But I've never used them-I just use the video editing software and dvd software on my computer.)

If you google for video cam or camcorder reviews you will come up with lots of sites with helpful information. But after you've read through it, make sure to get some 'hands-on' experience at your local camera store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for your input and advise ladies. I will do just as you suggested. I am sure this is going to be a long process finding what appeals to me and fits my needs.

Please, more suggestions are welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the parents on my son's baseball team is always taking videos (or I thought). I ask her one day if she ever just sat down and watched them and she said no, but she printed out a lot of them. I didn't understand until she brought me a couple of prints of Jay and they were great!