Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm helping to host a cropping party at our church on Friday evening and I need some suggestions.

We have large round tables so we are going to put 2 people per table. We have asked them to bring finger foods, and closed beverage containers. Should we set up separate tables for everyone to eat at so no food is taken to the scrapping tables?

We are just planning to scrap and talk and people who have never scrapped are invited to try to get them interested and introduced to the craft.

What type of snacks do you suggest?

I've been to small crops by SB demonstrators, but I've never helped host one. So any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm helping to host a cropping party at our church on Friday evening and I need some suggestions.

We have large round tables so we are going to put 2 people per table. We have asked them to bring finger foods, and closed beverage containers. Should we set up separate tables for everyone to eat at so no food is taken to the scrapping tables?

We are just planning to scrap and talk and people who have never scrapped are invited to try to get them interested and introduced to the craft.

What type of snacks do you suggest?

I've been to small crops by SB demonstrators, but I've never helped host one. So any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judith, I host a scrapping get-tgether once a month at my church, too. One thing that we really like is to have music in the bacground playing favorite praise CD's. It helps to set the atmosphere and if things get quiet (with everyone concentrating on their projects) it gives everyone something to listen to.

I also ask them to contribute with non-greasy finger snacks. I provide the beverages: coffee, tea, soda, and water. I have never had any trouble with spilled drinks. Everyone is very respponsible with their mugs and glasses.

You may also want to tape a small lunch bag onto the edge of the tables where each person will be seated. These work as easy throw away trash bags for their pieces of scrap.

If you are trying to get a monthly crop going you may want to have a gift basket of goodies available for a drawing, if enough ladies come and participate. I have mine contribute a $3.00 item or more to a scrapbooking basket. You can either have one door prize where winner takes all or you can have occasional name draws throughout the night so that everyone gets a prize. This helps to add excitement to their night and encourages them to want to come back next month.

I also have a special table set up where many of my personal supplies are put out for everyone to use. I make sure that everything is marked with my name on it, too. I also have lots of papers, stamps, inks, and decorative scissors, and glue sticks for cardmaking. This is available in case someone comes who does not scrapbook but wants to be part of the group. My friend gives a basic lesson in card making each session, also.

I hope some of this helps you.

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend & I take turns hosting a day long scrap at our houses each month. We had originally started at the church but it got to where it was just the same ones every time & none of us have a regular job so we can set the time for all of us. We always invite others & sometimes others come but not regular.
    I always try to have some time of small demo of something new I have learned. This month it will be Iris folding. Since most of these ladies don't really stretch themselves, I always try to have a challenge for them, like use at least 3 buttons on a lo, use at 4 brads, use ribbon, etc. Then we put these los on a table & everyone votes on their favorite one or the one that used the new item best. I always have a small prize for the winner. I also have drawings throughout the day. I give away small things that I have found at 1/2 price, etc. Most people get a prize that way & can feel special about the day.
    Since this is day long, usually 9-4, we have everyone bring a salad to share for lunch. That way lunch doesn't cost anyone very much. We have a great time visiting, scrapping, & card making.
    Judy

Check out my scrappy blog at http://scrap-a-doodlestamping.blogspot.com/

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judith, if I were doing it:

I would set up a food area separate - maybe even an extra table for people to sit down to eat if they want to. Also, provide some pop-up wipes for people to clean their hands with before they go back to work (and touching other people's projects!). Non-greasy items are good - fresh veggies, pretzels, etc.

I consider closed containers for beverages a must - accidents do happen no matter how careful we are, and ruined photos and supplies are not a good memory!

I've also been to crops where they have an extra table or two that holds bigger or specialized tools. Anyone can "donate" a tool for the length of the crop (make sure they are marked with the owner's info) that everyone can use if they wish. Rule is it stays at the table.

Not sure how long your crop is, but you could probably fit in at least one "make-n-take". It should be fairly easy for your newer people, and will help generate interest - they go home with a finished small project. Perhaps show people how to mat photos on paper/cardstock, or something like that.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
    Pam
    Red Rubber Designs
    www.RedRubberDesigns.com
    ~*~*~*~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone said all the ideas I was thinking all ready.

Ziggy

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can add is have fun!!!!
    We use to do this once a month at our church.....but not a good fit for enought people right now.

Judyjay.....can I come to your house and play????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. The other girl and I had discussed some of these ideas, but I don't think she has any idea what a crop is. Since she started putting this together I don't want to step on any toes, but if I'm asked, then I do want to have suggestions. I'm probably the only one with a Cricut and a Cuttlebug, and I will have them available for others to use after tuteledge. I will also take my CM cutting system. I don't think I'm going to take any stamping items. Of course I could move all my SB stuff in the back of my car. I did promise to bring the 10 completed albums I have for others to see. I did plan to tape trash bags at each seat. We have also asked them to bring closed beverage containers. I really hope to get lots of scrapping done as I have no place to work at home. We may scrap till midnight.

I'll let you know how it goes and how much I got completed. I don't know if we are going to make this a regular thing or not. I would love to and invite the community. Then we would have to charge a small fee, like $5. Then we could get door prizes.

So thanks again for your suggestions. They are a big help.
    Judith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone's ideas sound so good! I don't know what else to add because I've not been to many cropping parties but I sure with I was closer to North Carolina!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish all of you were closer. I would love a crop with everyone here there. Just think of the fun and what we would learn with everyone there to share.
    Judith