Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (I apologize how long this is but this is my <span class="ev_code_GREEN">venting for the day</span>)

Okay: Still haven't made up my mind on the Silhouette. I used it with some clipart yesterday for making "manipulatives" for my DH's math students to use.

Well, trying to draw the hexagon and then the individual triangles - NOT FUN and did not work. Next idea, try clip since you cannot find any free download or pay designs for shapes for math (hmmmm go figure who is scrapbooking math - shhhhh don't tell my DH I said that lol)

Ohhhh, and if you use clipart, I FINALLY figured out to get a nice edge, you do need to basically "trace over it", hey, but that's another story - lolol. Yes, I know there is a polygon thingy on the side too, but again, THAT IS ANOTHER WHOLE STORY on trying to use it to get the frick'n "equal sides of a hexagon"

Anyway, I FINALLY figured out how to download using the autotrace feature. Still not sure if I did that correctly (no great directions on that either), but after an 1-1/2+ hours of fiddling and trial/error of practicing, I finally got a template of the hexagon and the 6 triangles DH needed and that would work - lordie - trying to get a hexagon with the equal sides NOT EASY even with the grid thing. (I'm not a math person, just married to one).

Anyway, this morning I tried to download from the site with my free downloads that came with the machine and use some of the 4x8 cardstock with adhesive on the back - UGGGGGGGGGG! Frustrating to say the least. I keep forgetting that everything is backwards of what you see on the screen and how it actually cuts out and which side to put the stupid paper. Directions say, you don't need to use the mat (page 19), but of course, forgetting the backwards and upside down thing from the screen of what you see (hope this makes sense)is not how it cuts out on the machine, I of course had the paper on the wrong side of the machine for cutting. So, I just finally gave up, put the stupid 4x8 cardstock on the mat and cut it (yes realizing it goes on the right side and not the left side where the stupid line is to line everything up - go figure).

Is anyone else having this problem -- what you see on your computer screen is not the lay out of how it cuts out on the machine? Plus, I'm having problems getting the different color thingeees (yes my technical terminology) for the blade that you change for depths, etc. getting it to cut -- only one that will cut is the red cap. I can't get it to cut using the blue or the yellow caps when it calls for it (yep I followed the directions using the media type, etc. and it still didn't cut what it was supposed to). Is anyone else having these problems? I know there was the addendum page to the booklet as well as page 19 tells about the "cutting different materials" and whether the mat is required, blade cap color, media type blah blah blah ---

Anyone else having these problems? I'm sure it's the learning curve thing but come on, it's not rocket science to use these machines and I've use scrapbook programs for years for everything but scrapbooking (just got into scrapbooking this year). I also consider myself to be pretty good using the computer and different programs, etc.

Perhaps I'm just frustrated with the lack of directions that come with it. Sure, if you want to download from the site and pay $10.00 a download -- yep it's really simple and downloads right into the "my library" section , but I'm sure the majority of us would like the free downloads when possible, etc.

CONCLUSION: Yep, the Silhouette is easy to use as long as you use QK's few designs that come with the Silhouette machine and QK downloads - yep everything is easy then. But I want to use it with my own designs and downloads. The OLD CRICUT is looking better and better and the extra expense of the cartridges - also not looking to bad at this point. I'm glad I haven't sold my little bug yet to my neighbor like I had planned.

Okay, <span class="ev_code_RED">I'M DONE VENTING</span>. Thank you for all listening/reading.

Any suggestions, comments, laughter, or any inspiration is greatly welcomed!!!!
    Dawn

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW Dawn, makes me think that I can continue to design and print what I want and use my little old hands to cut it out. lol
    Lynn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your description made my head spin like Linda Blair in the Exorcist.

Ahhh, what Lynn said. Scissors to the rescue!
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tells me that buying my Cricut was smart and that I don't want a SMART machine as it may be smarter than me!! But I do feel your frustration.
    Judith

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by jujuann:
    Just tells me that buying my Cricut was smart and that I don't want a SMART machine as it may be smarter than me!! But I do feel your frustration.
    Here, Here!! ROTFL! That's all i need.. a machine smarter than me!

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dawn, I can totally relate but I have a WB, found out the hard way about thing printing on the opposite, top or bottom. It takes time to get to use the machine but I feel as far as my purchase with the WB it was worth it even if it takes a bit of time to learn...so many things you can do with it without the cost of cartridges. I'm not up on the machine you purchased but thought I would just tell you
    "I UNDERSTAND Completely". Should be just a matter of time bofore someone forms a group.
    Good luck
    Donna

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Quote by Frank Outlaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I am sold on not buying one!! Way beyond my abilities to do. Scissors are for me!

Diana
    Diana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone - I definitely am feeling much better --

Donna: I'm sure, there will probably be a group called D.S.A. <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Disgruntled Scrapbookers Anonymous. </span> lol

Anyway, I'm sure you are right - it is definitely a learning curve, but there has to be a machine that is more user friendly, but then again, I'm sure for the "friendliness", the machine definitely won't be costing $350.00, lolol, probably more like 700 or 800 if not more.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence about it. Will see what the weekend brings when I can actually sit down and work with it and see exactly what I can figure out. Just glad there is a 30-day return policy, just in case.
    Dawn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, you are having such a hard time. I will be the first to say that I wanted one of those darn machines so bad I could taste it. BUT, since I wanted to taste some food more (HAHAHA)I decided against the purchase.

I just got home from my first day of teacher's workday (school doesn't start for me until after Labor Day) and I was excited to be able to use our Ellison again. Guess I'll just stick to it and my little Sizzix.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dawn, I have one word for you: <span class="ev_code_RED">RETURN</span>
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon