Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is discipline hard on the parent?

Having a hard time tonight.
    My 14yo kept mouthing off to me and so I grounded her for a week.
    She missed homecoming game and dance Friday night... started being real nice and tried to sucker me into letting her go to one of her best friends' bday party tonight. I almost let her go but she keeps up with whining and snippy answers so I held my ground. So why am I the one crying??
    I am not great with discipline and sometimes I think DH is too hard but the alternative is a kid who thinks she can walk all over you. I had to stand my ground and I hate it.
    Thanks for listening....
    TALLIES 2017
    1. SCRAPBOOK PAGE TOTALS: 6
    2. CARD TOTALS: 3
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:
    5. OTHER ALTERED PROJECTS: 1

"Dull Women Have Immaculate Houses"

Maria

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honey I am right there with you with my 12 year old son. He has such a horrible attitude! He is grounded right now from tv, computer, awana, and boy scout trips because he is failing math in a bad way and he's close to failing social studies too. And the thing with him is that he is really smart. He's only failing because he won't do his classwork or homework. I'm trying hard to stick my ground too!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy, Thanks so much! Gosh it is so hard but I know it is right...She has to know she can't talk back to me and she needs to start listening better plus she has a Biology grade to bring up...
    TALLIES 2017
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:

Maria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know with smaller kids, those challenges are in my future.

Hold fast, ladies.

You are the parents, they are the children.

I read somewhere once, "Train up a child in the way he (or she) should go, and when he is old, he (or she) will not depart from it."
    Laura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dd is nearly 15. It is hard. They are such little adults one minute and such bratty toddlers the next minute. It is about them learning how to act. Mine got grounded a week at a time for six weeks because of her attitude and refusal to do the dishes. But, this is the first time dh has done it! Yeah, I am not the only meanie! Still, it is hard, espically when you want them to be involved in those things. I have learned to not ground from the things that punnish the parents though. lol. At least now that she is in hs, there are things to ground her from..
    Stand firm!!
    ~Jean.
    avitar pict my boy Blaze

Pages ~ 6
    Cards ~ 9

funny goat stories: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/sho...d.php?t=255903

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please, please please! Tell me this isn't in my future!!! I'm too old for this!
    "My mother said, 'You won't amount to anything because you procrastinate.' I said, 'Just wait.'" Judy Tenuta

I'm thankful for piles of laundry. It means my loved ones are nearby.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we survived the weekend (which was the hardest)... she is slightly better now... I know I have to stand firm... will do and yes, Lulu... those sweet little babies grow into teenagers. It's not all bad, though. There are lots of good moments... just that you have to remind them that you are the parent and they are the child...
    TALLIES 2017
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:

Maria

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold Fast! Stand Firm! You will make it through the storm! And there is sunshine after the rain!

You have to start the way you will proceed... they are young yet. It isn't the end of the world. And they will see it. I've heard but everyone is going or doing it... my answer is well if everyone was jumping off a bridge would you! I'm not everyone's mom I'm yours and I will answer for what you do.

I didn't let my kids go to the dances... but I did let them go their Senior Prom as a reward for graduating. We had parties for them and their friends afterward. I'm glad I gave in on this. They found out it's not the function that was the blast as much as the month before planning it.

I have had my kids come up to me after graduating and say thanks for ________ one example was ... for not letting us have a tv in their rooms. When my dd was 12 she wanted a tv in her room ...I said no you need to watch with us and I need to see what your watching. Of course she didn't understand ... but later she saw how some of her friends families never had any interaction... she went to ones house for a birthday party. They filled their plates and each went to their bedrooms. There has been more moments like that.

We now understand that we are the strange ones not every one else... but we love it. We get together to carve pumpkins... color eggs... going away for the weekend for a short vacation...the kids love going to town with us ... even their spouse's. Had someone ask me how do you get your grown kids to do things with you... it was a compliment!

Keep it up! They will be better adults for it.

Clarinda

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the words of wisdom Clarinda!