Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a new member Mandy who is just starting to scrapbook. I thought it would be nice to have a discussion about what we each think are "necessities" when someone is starting scrapbooking to help her get started.

I would say a good adhesive (there are many different kinds), a paper trimmer, and of course pretty papers and cardstock. Maybe a couple of embellishments like Jolee's, but don't go hog wild buying stuff. It's better to start slowly so you don't end up with a bunch of stuff that you didn't like to use. And going to crops will also help ~ people will be more than happy to show how to use some of the things that have to see if you like them.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a new member Mandy who is just starting to scrapbook. I thought it would be nice to have a discussion about what we each think are "necessities" when someone is starting scrapbooking to help her get started.

I would say a good adhesive (there are many different kinds), a paper trimmer, and of course pretty papers and cardstock. Maybe a couple of embellishments like Jolee's, but don't go hog wild buying stuff. It's better to start slowly so you don't end up with a bunch of stuff that you didn't like to use. And going to crops will also help ~ people will be more than happy to show how to use some of the things that have to see if you like them.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, Album style. Do you want to start big and do 12 X 12. I've actually heard this is easier for beginners but I started with a 8X8 post bound. Also, look at Post Bound vs. Strap Hinge. I've noticed with the Strap Hinge I'm going to have to trim my paper to fit but most post bound have top loading sheet protectors you can slide right in.

Well, if it wasn't going out I'd say the Scrapbook Answers Magazine :-P I like looking through the magazines just for ideas and if there are 3 or more things I do sometimes I'd buy. However SBAnswers was a magazine in a bag because it came with a CD so I buy it anyway just knowing there's cool stuff Phooy on the publisher.

Lets see. Good shape cutters. I've got the fiskars circle and oval cutters that work fine for me but others prefer Creative Memories (if you haven't heard of them it's like Mary Kay for Scrapbooking) or Cozzuel templates. You can't always make a perfect circle or shape when you just use sissors. And a paper trimmer.

Ziggy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't anyone else have any suggestions for Mandy?
    Cindy

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey! i am new to this forum. i would say that besides the stuff you HAVE to have, like a paper cutter, papers, adhesives, etc. i would say that one item i would not want to do without is my chalks. you can add so much depth and interest with chalks, and they last forever. plus, buy it with a coupoon from the crafts chains, and you aren't spending a fortune!

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to say "an open mind." Remember this is your scrapbook and your memories.I think sometimes we tend to copy others work because we don't believe we're creative enough on our own. Choose paper and embellishments that suit your idea of what the theme is and then just enjoy yourself.
    pattycake
    ~~~~~~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pattycake, that is a good one! You are so right. Don't worry about trying to make your pages look like everyone elses. Do what you like.
    Cindy

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good pair of sharp scissors, paper trimmer, and patience. Remember your pages won't look like others and you might think they aren't very good to begin with but everyone can say when we first started out our pages weren't very good. Your style will come after doing pages for a while.

I'd skip the trimmer for now, and invest in an oversized cutting mat, an X-ACTO knife, and a steel ruler. Also, a good pair of scissors, a pencil, and a black acid free pen. For adhesives, I'd get a few: a double stick tape, a glue stick, a wet glue, and a one sided tape. They're all good for different things, and it's good to have them on hand when you need them.

Junior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are all great ideas!! I think you should also look into your LSS!! They may offer beginning scrap classes. That is a good way to start. They have all kinds of great ideas there!!