Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking for some feedback on the Plaid Gel Paint, this is the newest thing to do on my "want all of them" list. I did a search and found a site of people posting examples and they look cool. But I want to hear from people I actually know If you are unfamiliar with them the difference between them and acrylic paint is it is transparent. I will also come back and post the list to the site with examples it was fun to look at them all.

http://scraptalk.com/gallery/showgal...cat=646&page=2

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i haven't heard of the 'gel' paint.. but i've used the regular Plaid paint. gotta check that out!

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a painter and I've used Plaid Stencil Gels for years. It is a waterbased acrylic. I use them for stenciling, stamping, special effects such as wood graining, and also as a stain on a wood project when I don't want a heavy background color. I just checked the Plaid site and this looks EXACTLY like the same stuff rebottled and renamed for scrapbooking. Both names sell for the same price and both lines of gels have the same number of colors. Hmmmm.

The original gel...

Stencil Gel

New Keepsake Colors...

Keepsake Colors

I've noticed since scrapping has really come into the forefront companies are repackaging and renaming products they've been making for years to sell it to the scrapping community (and charging more for it in some cases). Some examples...simple color wheels, clear dimensional acrylic for making page pebbles (also known as Crystal Effects, Liquid Crystal, etc), chalks, and more.

Before you purchase this product I would go to the stenciling section of the craft store and see what they have in the way of stencil gels. You can usually get a good price on a sample pack of colors which right now according to the Plaid site is cheaper than a multi-pack of Keepsake Gels.

BUT...also at this time the Plaid site has some of the Keepsake gel colors on closeout including one of the sets.

Plaid Closeout
    "Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are so right Flo, I think it's really unfortunate for people that don't have an artsy background to be taken advantage of in this way. Whenever I come across it I let people know. I have only done stenciling with acrylic paints, I have never even used the thick stencil paints that come in little pots. I will check out the section next time I'm at the store.

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loris,

Stencil PAINT and stencil GEL are 2 different things. A paint will be opaque like your regular acrylics. Your gel will be transparent like a stain. That's why I sometimes use the gels instead of stains on wood projects. I can apply color and still allow the wood grain to show through.
    "Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks I did understand that from your previous post I was just sharing that I hadn't even ventured into the hobby far enough to use the paint lol, hadn't even ever seen the gel.