Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a family last night that lost everything. I was wondering what is the most helpful things to give them right now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i had my fire, we only had the things on our backs, i had slept in my dh's tee-shirt. the first thing i needed was shoes and clothes. someone gave us new underwear and i was so happy. this may seem odd to say, but i had nothing to do my hair with, no deo, and no make-up. hope this helps you some.
    *Mary*

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think of their immediate needs and go from there. Or maybe a GC to someplace like WM or Kmart where they can pick out some of the things they need.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Maybe providing some child care so that they can start regrouping. The very basic necessities like plenty of easy to eat foods, snacks for the kids, stuffed animals for little ones, a journal to track their thoughts and feelings, but most importantly support to pull themselves back together. Gift cards make the almost perfect gift because they can get what they need.

I always try to remember "A friend in need, is a friend indeed."

Gail
    Hugs to all of you!
    Gail

So little time, sooo many projects!

Stop by and see me at my blog:
    www.gailgsgoodies.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never had a fire so not sure but i would say go with the Gift Card to a local Store like WM, Kmart, Target, Maybe even a place to get some food or something like that. Its gotta be hard not having anything left. but i guess the basic necessities would be the most appreciated. Even if you have some old clothes laying around that you were planning on getting rid of that might even help as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they lost everything and have kids, they will want to look after the kids needs first, then their own. if you have a Super WM, then it would have food. The Red Cross will probably step in to help them find shelter and immediate basics, but if I were in that situation, I think gift cards would be great. I don't know about Mary's situation, but I've known of families who get a lot of "stuff", very little of which they can use.

I have never been in a situation where I've lost everything. I think of all the things I would be devastated if I lost...like the pics of my family and special little gifts given me by some very special friends. None of the items are worth much dollarwise. I feel for any family who has to deal with it.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be welcomed.
    Judith

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just my personal opinion and I am sure that situation dictates, but I would say goo ol american money. I would say that if they lost everything in a fire they are not going to be taking advantage or people and of any money given to them by going out and spending it on vacations, alcohol, and other stuff that the person probably did not intend them to buy with the donated money.

You really don't know what they really need and a gift card limits them to what is at that store. Maybe it is as simple as them having a young kid that has been saving his or her money in a piggy bank so that they can go on some class trip in the near future. maybe that class trip is just what the kid needs emotionally to help them get their mind off the tragic event and maybe the parents would do anything to send their kid on that trip and know that they cannot afford to because the kids money was lost in the fire and they know that any little money they may have has to be used to rebuld their lives. It may sound way out in left field, but ya never know what they need.

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good call Kahuna! I would have to agree! I also think that alot of people are going to pitch in and help with the "necessities",and sometimes what they need are the "other" things in life. For a friend of mine who lost everything, she ended up with a lot of toothpastes and deodorants and such but really needed things like hairbrushes, a curling iron, ironing board, coffee pot, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's sad -- if they have insurance, it will probably kick in quick. I think a Helping Hand would be great - whatever may need to be done, running to the store-watching kids or pets-an ear for listening-just extra caring hands.

When we had our fire, we didn't lose everything - but might as well have, the water damage took care of the rest. I just didn't know where to start - this was enons ago, before kids - but devastating just the same.

sam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heather, can you give us an update on how the family is doing.
    Judith