Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hosting a free crop this weekend from 9:30am until midnight. I would like to have as many people attend as possible and not exclude anyone.

Unfortunately, one gal comes very late in the day/evening (and usually brings 1 or 2 people) and then expects everyone to move all of their stuff to accommodate her and her friends. The last time was in my home, which made it difficult for everyone. This time it is in a larger space. She can also dominate the conversation, talk loudly on her cell phone in front of everyone, which can be very annoying and I have gotten complaints about her from others. One time she even brought her own espresso maker! Last time she brought cream puffs and she and her friends sat and stuffed their mouths not sharing with others.

She emailed me for this particular crop and this was my reply to her:

What time do you plan on attending? If I know for sure that you and your friend will attend, then I will set aside a table for you and your friend to share, so those that have been scrapping for hours do not have to pick up and move their stuff, because that just isn't fair.

Did I handle it okay? Is there anything else I can say to her to get a hint to not be rude? Help!!!!
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hosting a free crop this weekend from 9:30am until midnight. I would like to have as many people attend as possible and not exclude anyone.

Unfortunately, one gal comes very late in the day/evening (and usually brings 1 or 2 people) and then expects everyone to move all of their stuff to accommodate her and her friends. The last time was in my home, which made it difficult for everyone. This time it is in a larger space. She can also dominate the conversation, talk loudly on her cell phone in front of everyone, which can be very annoying and I have gotten complaints about her from others. One time she even brought her own espresso maker! Last time she brought cream puffs and she and her friends sat and stuffed their mouths not sharing with others.

She emailed me for this particular crop and this was my reply to her:

What time do you plan on attending? If I know for sure that you and your friend will attend, then I will set aside a table for you and your friend to share, so those that have been scrapping for hours do not have to pick up and move their stuff, because that just isn't fair.

Did I handle it okay? Is there anything else I can say to her to get a hint to not be rude? Help!!!!
    bonnie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HHHmmmm, that's a toughie Bonnie. Maybe you should just come out and tell her that peoople have complained about her coming late and being expected to move their things when she comes in, and that they are also bothered by her loud conversations on her cell phone. Afterall, honesty is supposed to be the best policy (I'm not always sure about that!). Is there another room or an "out of the way" place you could suggest for her to talk on her cell phone? For the food, as soon as she walks in, politely take it from her and say something like, "Here, let me take this over to the refreshment table for you". Boy, you've got yourself a sticky situation. But it kinda sounds like you all would be better off without her around.
    Cindy
    Independent Beauty Consultant
    www.marykay.com/cynthiaalarcon

Senior Scrapper Penster (pjwlee)'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many times has she done this..if more than a couple, yes I would be honest and say she disrupts people who are there to scrap. I guess I would emphasis the time as this is not an open scrap time where you come and go. If she is that much of a problem for the sake of the rest of the group maybe you need to ask her to find another group to scrap with. Where she and everyone else will be happy and you won't have to deal with her bad manners.
    Not an easy situtation either way......but think of what is best for you and the other ladies.
    Penny(pjwlee)
    penster
    "Always shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars!!!"
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world. " Ghandi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Bonnie, since you host swaps, why not be prepare next time by sending out invitations with swappping courtesy rules explaining that it is to help everyone have an enjoyable evening. Then you can list 'rules' such as, must reserve table space in advance, you will be considered a 'no show' and your space be given to up if late without previous notice, bring a treat to share with everyone, no cell phone use ( calls can be taken outside or in another room), no last minute guests (due to limited space) etc.

This is sorta what I do when I had swaps and bi-monthly craft nights. Setting up some sort of ground rules for everyone makes things go much smoother. And most of my frieinds actually appreciated this. I hope this might help give you some ideas.

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great suggestion!!
    Cheryl
    "I am bound to them, though I cannot look into their eyes, or hear their voices. I honor their history, I cherish their lives, I will tell their story. Therefore I scrapbook"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you handled it fine w/your email but I think a general "crop courtesy rules" like bitaglitz suggested should be presented tomorrow or on the day of the crop for all the group as a back up. That way, she may see her own behavior and correct it before she does it.
    Good Luck! Hope you have fun!
    TALLIES 2017
    1. SCRAPBOOK PAGE TOTALS: 6
    2. CARD TOTALS: 3
    3. CARD KITS:

4. MINI BOOK:
    5. OTHER ALTERED PROJECTS: 1

"Dull Women Have Immaculate Houses"

Maria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't ever hosted a swap, but I have hosted crops. All of the attendees in the past have been great and I don't have any problems other than this one gal. I don't want to have to throw rules / guidelines at everyone else, because of this one person and her rudeness.

I could isolate her in her own room if she is late!!! That way the only person she would bother is herself!

I appreciate everyone's replies and suggestions, she is the only thorn in our sides. I really wish she would just be considerate of others.
    bonnie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL I did actually mean 'crop' and not 'swap'. I hope you figure out how to graciously yet, with authority, handle this gal. You could always tell her that your space is filled and she will have to wait for a future crop to come to...

Judy
    Judy

A MERRY Heart Does GOOD Like a Medicine!

check out my blogs: http://scrappers.me.com/bitaglitz
    http:judy-forthemoment.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so bad in these situations. I always wished that I was tougher but I'm not. Personally, I think you did the right thing by having a seperate table for her and her group. I certainly don't envy you in this situation.