Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Credits

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since there are a few people new to digital here, I thought I'd mention this. Usually your 'terms of use' for the freebies, and even purchased kits require you to credit the designer if you post a layout. They are protected by copyright, but the designers are usually quite happy for you to post your layouts, but want the recognition so if someone likes the kit they can purchase it. (I guess since they sell online instead of in stores, it is the only visibility they get). From a purely personal standpoint, I'd like to see that adopted here, as I've already seen 2 lo's that made me think...'Cool LO! Wonder where she got the kit!'

Usually, this takes the form of...
    Kit: Pretty Kit by May Smith
    freebie from digitalkit.com week of Jun3rd, 2006
    Fonts: Arial, Kriten
    Tag: Pretty Kit 2 by May Smith
    Background paper: my own design

Of course, if the tag above were part of the Kit, you needn't mention it separately. And the above example is all made up.

I'm really not trying to be a pain here, so feel free to ignore this, but like I said, I'd like to be able to use some of the papers I've seen here!

(Oh, and one more thing...for me, to keep track of the credits, when I do a layout, I create a new 'text' layer and record all of the credit information, then 'hide' it underneath everything else. If I ever want it, I can move it to the front to cut and paste into a message, then close the file without saving)

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since there are a few people new to digital here, I thought I'd mention this. Usually your 'terms of use' for the freebies, and even purchased kits require you to credit the designer if you post a layout. They are protected by copyright, but the designers are usually quite happy for you to post your layouts, but want the recognition so if someone likes the kit they can purchase it. (I guess since they sell online instead of in stores, it is the only visibility they get). From a purely personal standpoint, I'd like to see that adopted here, as I've already seen 2 lo's that made me think...'Cool LO! Wonder where she got the kit!'

Usually, this takes the form of...
    Kit: Pretty Kit by May Smith
    Fonts: Arial, Kriten
    Tag: Pretty Kit 2 by May Smith
    Background paper: my own design

Of course, if the tag above were part of the Kit, you needn't mention it separately. And the above example is all made up.

I'm really not trying to be a pain here, so feel free to ignore this, but like I said, I'd like to be able to use some of the papers I've seen here!

(Oh, and one more thing...for me, to keep track of the credits, when I do a layout, I create a new 'text' layer and record all of the credit information, then 'hide' it underneath everything else. If I ever want it, I can move it to the front to cut and paste into a message, then close the file without saving)

Senior Scrapper Penster (pjwlee)'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    illinimom,
    I agree, although new to digital, it would be nice to know names. and cool way to store names for future reference.
    Penny(pjwlee)
    penster
    "Always shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars!!!"
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world. " Ghandi

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info. will Try to remember this. Some people from blogs ask if you would give them a link to see your lo of their freebee

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you do when you download things and there is no info in the download as to who did the work??? I will try my best to give credits... thanks for the info. Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you 100%. I made note of every kit I downloaded and who made it. I just have to remember to label everything with I post it. That was a great reminder.

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nancy,
    Usually if you download something, when you unzip it, there is a TOU file (terms of use) somewhere. It would contain info on how they wish to be credited. If the download doesn't have that, and it isn't on the page where you downloaded it, then they may not be as concerned about getting credit. Still, you should probably at least not the site you downloaded from, if for no other reason, than I might want to get a copy myself!

Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my... I have spend the last 2 days downloading and trying to file in some way that I might know what I have... but I didn't think about the credits or someone wanting the same files... but from this point on I will try my best to log where I get my files... almost all of the things I have downloaded are from the list of things in the Free Digital Kits and Stuff post under Digital Layouts...I am that new to all of this...so I guess I am on a new learning curve again...there is a lot to learn...from learning a new program that can do tons of things... to learning to get the credits.. I do know what you are talking about when you say TOU... I have lots of them and I have saved them with each kit/paper file if it has one... I just wish every file had one... it would make it a lot easier... Thanks so much for your help!!!
    Nancy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guilty of not doing that. I think I'm so used to paper scrapbooking where we post our layouts and don't list everything that I kind of forget. I have to get better at remembering to do that. The ones I already have downloaded mostly have a designer name or kit name in the title, but not always. Of course now I can't remember where I exactly got them all.

Stampin' Up! - Please PM me to order
    My Blog

2014 cards(4)
    2013 layouts (0), cards (86), other (3)

2012 layouts (3), cards (188) 7/6, other (51)
    2011:layouts (6), cards (142), other (23)
    2010:layouts (7), cards (139), other (113+)

[IMG]

Senior Scrapper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Nancy, I understand. Believe me, I didn't start out storing credits. But once I wanted to post to one of the digital sites, and got a PM explaining they would remove it if I didn't properly credit things, I learned. So now, even though my system isn't by any means perfect, I DO store my downloads in folders by site I downloaded from, and if I download regularly, I subdivide by designer or challenge prop or whatever makes sense, so that I can at least partially credit. That way, at least I can point people in the right direction if they want to search for the kit.
    Kim