PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with hidden Vegetables

blueyecicle
02-12-2008, 07:38 PM
You know that Jessica Seinfield...or whatever her name is....Jerry Seinfields wife.
The one with the hidden veggies in the food.
Well her ideas were great but nor practical for my boys....BUT
Buying BABY food! (pureed veggies) IS practical in my house! And if you priced out Cauliflower or other veggies at leats in my town, it costs about the same.

So now I add peas and mixed veggies to every spaghetti I make.
I add carrots and squash to my tacos.
I add squash to my pancakes.
I add sweet potatoes and peas to my chili.
Oh and anything I can to mashed potatoes. (sometimes I just use cauliflower because it works the best)
Even the hamburgers I make have veggies in them.

NO one knows and they get more of their veggies.

tallulah1
02-12-2008, 08:04 PM
GOOD for you! What a great idea! I myself am a veggie lover - I think I am one of the only kids that Popeye taught to LOVE spinach!
But as a heart patient - very important. And you know check out the soy products - the crumbles taste just like hamburger for tacos - spaghetti - or other hamburger dishes.
I will have to pass this along!
Kudos!
Janelle

blueyecicle
02-12-2008, 08:20 PM
I LOVE veggies too! And all sorts of curry and Bulgogi and korean foods. I love putting soy products AND tofu in korean food. But the kids...they will have nothing to do with it..
well my 4 yr old anyways.
He was always force fed his medications in the hospital so he has a HUGE phobia of new food and stuff. He won't even drink juice!
The other kids do eat veggies, they love broccoli and all of them! BBut poor Gage...my little force fed monster....:rolleyes:

akgrniz
02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I looked at that book at Costco one day and was with my stepdaughter, who of course hates veggies!! Was telling her the stuff that the lady came up with, my daughter turned to me and said I am NOT eating anything you cook anymore. I laughed and said sweetie you will never know!! That is the beauty of the cookbook. I didn't pick it up of course we were on a diifferent mission but plan to one day.

Great tip with the baby food I may just start picking up some and hiding. My 2 YO loved veggies as a baby on the jarred foods even when he got a little older, would not go near fruit. Now it is the opposite can't get him to eat any veggies but he will eat fruit all day long if I let him.

blueyecicle
02-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Well I admit I hide my baby food. But it is so much easier than hiding while I steam and puree veggies. The kids keep coming in asking. this way they don't know.

ziggyeor
02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
LOL That's cute and a great idea too!

Ziggy

mommaidwf
02-13-2008, 08:28 AM
That's a good idea Cristal! I never thought of that! But then, my kids eat both fruit and vegetables. Two of my three even eat Brussel Sprouts!

blueyecicle
02-13-2008, 09:29 AM
That's a good idea Cristal! I never thought of that! But then, my kids eat both fruit and vegetables. Two of my three even eat Brussel Sprouts!
Bleh to you! bleh I say!!! :p

LuLu
02-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey, I bought the book and was thinking of starting a topic about it. I'm slowly incorporating the idea into our lifestyle. My 2 YO DS won't touch any veggies at all, he has a fit if he's sees any green thing on his plate. I made mac and cheese with squash (I don't like squash) and that was pretty good. But I was thinking, you don't get to much veggies with this... you only use 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup in the whole dish.

As for the book, it's OK. I think she gets a little preachy about how to raise kids and I don't like that.

blueyecicle
02-13-2008, 10:23 AM
I don't care for the book (because it is NOT practical for my house) but I LOVE the idea....OH I also put squash in the mac and cheese!! Great minds lulu! LOL I forgot that one.

It might seem like a small amount but think about it over the day! Even if he gets a 1/4 serving 4 times a day, that is ONE more serving than he had yesterday! LOL

And pureed is always more concentrated too. If I cook 2 cups of carrots it purees to only 1 cup. If that!

illinimom
02-13-2008, 10:44 AM
So do you just mix the pureed squash into the cheese sauce. I've been trying to get mine to eat more frutis and veggies and it isn't working. Maybe I'll give this a try. The 'green stuff' can't be visible!

blueyecicle
02-13-2008, 10:45 AM
I try to put the green stuff in the chili and spaghetti. Because tomato covers most colors really well. OH and Taco meat!! Because the spices cover all flavor and color!
I leave squash and other light stuff for the more visible ones.

thecountryrose
02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
That is a great idea! I don't have to worry about this because my family likes veggies and fruits. I used to buy youngest DD organic baby food, but she hated baby food. She wouldn't eat it at all so I had to take whatever I cooked for dinner and add some apple juice to it and puree it. When my older girls were babies I just made my own baby food from fresh veggies, etc., pureed them, and froze them in ice cube trays. That way you can store the cubes in zip locks or freezer containers and just use what you need for that meal. The cubes are easy to heat up too. For things like bananas that won't freeze well, I just mashed them up with a little apple juice.

Now I have a really good juicer so I can add the pulp to sauces or breads. Sometimes I feed the pulp to the chickens and they love it, plus it's good for them and the eggs :D.

mommaidwf
02-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Bleh to you! bleh I say!!! :p

I didn't say I eat them! LOLOLOL My kids also eat beets and asparagus. When one DS had his 6 yo check up he told the dr. that his favorite food is cheese broccoli. :D Can you say proud momma!! LOL

Janice
02-13-2008, 01:27 PM
I have this cookbook. I never thought of baby food...wow that would be easy. I will have to try it. Thanks for the tip.

Janice

Cali4niaGirl
02-13-2008, 01:44 PM
GREAT idea! I am going to be sneeking some into my family's dinners! DH and boys are so picky with veggies; DD and I eat just about all of them.

midnightangel
02-17-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm going to try this.... DH will not touch veggies.... He will drink the V8 Fusions. He will eat corn on the cob with salt only. He eats his baked taters with salt only, he will eat them fried and mashed. I do get him to eat chili beans in chili only. That is it for veggies....

LuLu
02-17-2008, 09:35 PM
I just pureed a batch of cauliflower and put some in our mashed potatoes. I liked them but I don't think anyone else ate them.

blueyecicle
02-17-2008, 10:49 PM
I never tried pureeing the cauliflower I just mashed it in but like you....not many of my peeps eat them LOL I eat them and hubby...but he is worse than the kids.

LuLu
02-18-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't think they didn't eat the mashed potatoes because of the cauliflower. They just didn't want to eat potatoes. My husband would've rather ate the cauliflower by itself; he didn't like it the potatoes. My DD use to eat anything we gave her. My DS has a fit if he sees anything on his plate resembling a veggie. I think he has a sixth sense about veggies and will outwit me on these deceptive dishes. Everytime I have tried something, he just won't have it. All he eats is yogurt... not the good kind either. It has to have all the food coloring and additives in it. If it has one bit of fruit, he has a fit.

blueyecicle
02-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Same thing with mine, they just don't eat much mashed potatoes.
Now spaghetti! they will wolf down no mater what I add.