PDA

View Full Version : Storing Buttons and...

sbartist
02-07-2008, 01:14 PM
This idea is from one of the local groups I am on and I thought it was just such a clever idea that I have to share it.
http://www.startascrapbook.com/gallery/files/4/3/jewelry_box.jpg

When my grandmother was alive she used to have a cool jewelry box that all of the cousins would go look through when we visited. I just love this idea and oh how I wish I had her jewelry box. She was such a fun and hip grandma.

Taffy
02-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Oh Good! I'm Glad You Posted This. I Was Going To Post A Thread Asking How You Store Your Buttons!! :)

Thanks For Sharing!

blueyecicle
02-07-2008, 02:07 PM
You know mine is similiar to that,. It is a CUBED box that I got from Jo;s and it lets you place the plastic pieces where you want for cubes. So I can have bigger ones for my wider buttons and the colors I have more of. I love it.
I am sort of a buttonwhore

Taffy
02-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Cristal, Do You Have A Picture Of That? Sounds Intriguing ;)

blueyecicle
02-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Oh I can probably take one LOL

sbartist
02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Please share!

LoriS.
02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
well never in my life have I heard the term "button whore" but i guess I could also wear that label I have buttons sorted by color in a floss organizer box, but I plan to move them to these cute little spice jars I have

blueyecicle
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
OK as you can see I am a little nutso. I store the in 3 sizes and according to color....small green, medium green and large green. Unless I am low on a button then I combine. Or the bigger one is for HUGE buttons.
Its not perfect but it works.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/blueyecicle/DSCN7835.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n199/blueyecicle/DSCN7834.jpg

blueyecicle
02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
well never in my life have I heard the term "button whore" but i guess I could also wear that label I have buttons sorted by color in a floss organizer box, but I plan to move them to these cute little spice jars I have
LOL, well i am a fabricwhore too.
I need to stop talking to my younger sister LOL
Oh this is one of 6 boxes and a jar I have not organized yet LOL

Taffy
02-07-2008, 05:45 PM
LOL, well i am a fabricwhore too.

SO AM I! BUT I'VE DONE GOOD AT NOT BUYING FABRIC SINCE WM GOT RID OF THEIR FABRIC DEPT (USED TO BE $1.00 /YD_) :)

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR PICTURE - WHAT FEW BUTTONS I HAVE .. IT'S OUT OF CONTROL - lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'LL POST A PICTURE TONIGHT OF MY BUTTON MESS! LOL!!

thecountryrose
02-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Lori may be a bigger fabric whore than you are, you'll have to show us your fabric stash :D. I saw Lori's and she has a fabric store in her basement, lol! I have a lot of fabric, but doesn't compare to Lori's.

I have a button collection that was started by my great, great, great grandmother and it has been added to over the years. It has been passed down from mother to daughter and those buttons have a lot of history in them. Women used to take buttons off of clothes and recycle them. Most of the buttons are from my ancestors clothes- their dresses, shirts, coats. I have some interesting buttons. Must be where I learned it from, lol! I do it too. I take the buttons off clothes first if they have to be tossed. I keep my antique button collection all in a tin.

sbartist
02-07-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't have many buttons and therefore I don't need much space to store them. I rarely use them because I don't like the bulk that they create on my pages as well as possibly denting the page next to it - probably because I put way too many pages in one scrapbook. I have, however, seen a lot of wonderful layouts with lots of buttons.

blueyecicle
02-07-2008, 06:17 PM
My MIL this Christmas gave me a jar full of hers and her mother sbuttons and her mother left me all her sewing stuff so I have some of those.
I use them more in sewing them pages. But I love buttons none the less.
My boys BEG me to let them pick out the oldest gaudiest buttons for their Pajamas I make and shirts too.

LoriS.
02-07-2008, 09:06 PM
awww Barb ratted me out lol, the thing about the fabric that Barb has seen is that it's not all of it :o I have several more tubs that I have to make room for in my space yet. I need warm weather so I can use up some of my stash and sell some things.

jujuann
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I have a jar of buttons also handed down from my grandmothers. I would not use them as they will be handed down to my DD and probably her GD as she has sons. I also don't use buttons on my LOs. I haven't gotten into doing that, plus like Bonnie I put tons of pages in my SBs. But I do use them when I alter stuff, so I have some. I keep them in ziplock bags in another sterlite snap top box. That way I can see into the box and find what I'm looking for.

thecountryrose
02-08-2008, 06:07 AM
I use cardstock and patterned paper buttons on my LO's that I cut on my Wishblade. They are so cute and lay flat :). I don't use real buttons on my LO's either. I do have a gingerbread house that I made from wood about 13 years ago and I used some of my antique buttons on that. I saw a strip quilt once though that had buttons sewn on it. I plan to make one someday and sew some my antique buttons on it, but I don't think I'll do strips. I'm going to use block patterns. It's a great way to preserve and display your buttons and have a useful heirloom to pass down too.

ziggyeor
02-08-2008, 06:53 AM
I have some of the paper buttons and some of those in similar conatiners but with other stuff too. Then a friend gave me a Smiley face box with even more buttons!

Ziggy

LoriS.
02-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I thought I'd add a bit of a funny on myself, we have a thrift store that I guess gets so much donated that on a couple of days a week they have everything you can fit in a paper sack for a 1.50. So I go in and look for garments with cool buttons :) then I use the scrap fabric for other projects :)

Taffy
02-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Okay, after reading this and what others have done to store/organize their buttons, this is what i found. It works great!

http://www.startascrapbook.com/gallery/files/2/3/9/p1070646_thumb.jpg (http://www.startascrapbook.com/gallery//showimage.php?i=726&c=3)