PDA

View Full Version : I need help with a costume for school project

Cass17
01-20-2008, 09:10 AM
My daughter is doing a project at school and at the end, sometime in March, they need to dress up like the author that they chose for the project. My daughter chose Beatrix Potter. I just looked up how she dressed and it looks like a difficult costume to put together. They say not to make it a huge deal sewing or anything and to use stuff from around the house. Personally, I don't have these kind of clothes laying around so I have no idea what to do. Any ideas?
Here's a link to a pattern

http://stores.rubyjane.com/-strse-111/Beatrix-Jacket/Detail.bok

and a photo of her:

LuLu
01-20-2008, 09:25 AM
How about going to 2nd hand stores or Good will? We use to wear shirts sort-of similar in the 80's.

I really love how they say not to go to too much trouble with things like this. I really don't know if they comprehend how complicated things like this get. It just adds so much frustration. LOL.

Cass17
01-20-2008, 09:35 AM
That's a good idea. I can probably figure out how to make it smaller for her to wear if I can find the clothes in the first place.
I wonder if there are any victorian childrens costumes in a costume store. I'm not even sure that's victorian.

ScrappySam
01-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Cassie, even if ya found a pin-tuck blouse (or something like that) at Goodwill and it's to big, you can tie a ribbon around the waist and add a long skirt, with a straw hat (if ya can find one of those) & carry one of her books.

I gotta tell ya -- I Love Beatrix Potter!!! Don't you just love that movie? I ran out and bought it right away. She's one of my heros. :) good pick!

sam

akgrniz
01-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Do you have a costume store maybe they have something? We have a place to rent time peroid costumes and had to once for work we were carolers for Christmas. I was also thinking second hand too to see if you could find some pieces to put together for her.

Cass17
01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't think we have any costume stores.
I have to figure out what a pin-tuck blouse is! I heard of it, but have no idea what it looks like. Good idea about the ribbon. I can probably figure out something to do with one of my old skirts - although she's so tiny, I'd have to do some altering.
Carrying one of her books is an excellent idea! At least everyone would know who she's supposed to be.
She picked Beatrix Potter all by herself. I suggested Laura Ingalls Wilder, but she didn't want to be her.

illinimom
01-20-2008, 02:28 PM
First, don't stress over it too much. It is a kids costume, meant to evoke an image. The kids won't know how Beatrice really looked (and probably, neither do we) I'm thinking ANY long skirt will work, with a long sleeved jacket or blouse. Maybe embellish with a little ribbon or lace. Same with the hat. Any straw hat or bridesmaid hat from the 80's. Add your own ribbon and lace. And pull her hair back. Maybe carry a 'cup of tea' for the proper English lady look (was Beatrice English). If she SAYS she is Beatrix Potter...she IS!

jujuann
01-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Cass, do you have a college who does plays. They might have something in their costumes that will show you what you need. Or even an ameteur theatre. And a pintucked blouse has tiny tucks that run down the front of each side, usually 4 on each side. It looked in the pattern that she was wearing a peplum jacket, or a jacket with a fitted waist. You would need a solid color skirt in a navy or grey or brown, a white blouse with a collar, and a fitted jacket and a straw hat. Do you have a vintage clothing store? That might be the answer. Good luck

blueyecicle
01-20-2008, 11:31 PM
That skirt would be SUPER easy to whip up on the sewing machine. No pattern even needed.
And like the other gals said You know pintucked shirts are in style too so that should be pretty easy to find,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-70s-Blue-LACE-Pintuck-Tuxedo-Shirt-Dress-S-M_W0QQitemZ160200441080QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48869QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ziggyeor
01-21-2008, 07:10 AM
oh cute. When I was in 10th grade we had to do something similar from projects we could choose. It wasn't the author so much as a character. I threw on a pair of overalls and tied a red scarf around my waist. One girl that read the same book 1984 knew I was supposed to be Julia :p Even though overalls in England are a completly different thing.

I wasn't so big on Beatrix Potter, I like some of the stuff but wasn't really thrilled. What really got me was Mental Floss magazine. They did an article about influencal (sp?) women in science and she was one of them. Before she wrote for children she painted the stuff they saw in a microscope and even wrote articles that she had her Uncle present to boards because women weren't allowed. Then people pushed her to have a more 'respectable' job and so she wrote about some rabbits :p Which is nice that we have rabbits but think if she had been allowed to continue in science!

Ziggy

javamom
01-21-2008, 03:51 PM
All good advice here Cass, my 1st thought was a Thrift Store also. I loved the movie Miss Potter- what an extraordinary woman! A real role model for girls then and now. Glad your DD picked her. Good luck with the costume- let us know it turned out!!

Cass17
01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Oh, I didn't know there was a movie! I'm sure DD would love to see it. I wonder if it's on Demand. I'll have to check.

meluv2scrap
01-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Try Ebay, too. You never know another parent might of made or bought there daughter something for school and is now trying to sell it.

ScrappySam
01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Cassie, the movie is called Miss Potter. I don't think it's On Demand, yet. But you can netflix or rent it --- I loved it and have watched it at least 6 times already.

:) sam

akgrniz
02-11-2008, 05:27 PM
So what did you end up doing Cass? Would love to pics!!

Cass17
02-15-2008, 09:55 AM
She's going to wear a white blouse, belted with a ribbon, a long skirt from her holiday outfit, a pair of shoes my neice never wore and passed down (kind of b/w a boot and shoe) and a hat my mom was just about to throw away. She doesn't have to wear it until March. Today is her oral presentation to the class and her presentation of the diorama she made. I'll have to post photos of that. She used a couple of Sizzix dies and some scrapbook paper.

Cass17
02-15-2008, 09:38 PM
Here's her diorama. I only helped with the Beatrix figure and helped line up the fence and measure the paper for the back ground. We did the grass with the cricut. This is supposed to be Beatrix in the country where she made friends with the animals and brought a rabbit home (named him Peter)

blueyecicle
02-15-2008, 09:39 PM
OH very cooooollll!!!!!!!!!!!!!

illinimom
02-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Beautiful! She did a great job!

jujuann
02-16-2008, 10:41 PM
I remember doing those. She did a much better job of it than I ever did. I recognize the Sizzix fence, I have that die too. Looking forward to seeing her in costume. Mom, you are making this a scrapping moment aren't you???

sbartist
02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
So very cute - I love dioramas and she did a great job.

akgrniz
02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
I love that dioroma!! She did a great job!!

javamom
02-24-2008, 03:53 PM
OMG Cass that diorama is just too cute! Some"bunny" did a great job -lol I just couldn't resist! Hey how did her costume come out??

Have you all had a chance to see the movie yet??

Cass17
02-25-2008, 10:16 AM
We did get the costume together, but she doesn't have to wear it until March 14th. I'll be sure to take some pictures.
We haven't seen the movie yet. I looked on demand and it's not there so we'll have to rent it somewhere or check our library.

Janice
02-25-2008, 04:34 PM
What a great job she did. How awesome cant wait to see the photos of her all dressed up.

Janice