PDA

View Full Version : PSE: How to add new default sizes

illinimom
10-16-2007, 08:41 AM
I found this info after a long day of searching and thought some of you might find it helpful. To my knowledge, it will work with any recent version of PSE of full PS, Windows or Mac.

I wanted to be able to go to NEW-FILE and be able to pull 12x12 from the menu. I knew there was a way, but couldn't remember, since I've never really had a reason to add a non-default size. It took some searching, but I finally found it.

from this site...
Adobe Press (http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=30163&seqNum=5&rl=1)

"Editing Preset Sizes. New in version 7 is the Preset Sizes popup menu, which lets you pick from among 24 common document sizes, such as A4, 640 x 480, and 4 x 6 inches. Don't like the default presets that Adobe offers? You can add your own by using a text editor (like Windows Notepad or BBedit) to edit the text file called New Doc Sizes.txt, which is inside the Presets folder (in the Photoshop folder).
You can also remove one or more of the presets that are there by default. For instance, if you never create images in the "1280 x 720 HDTV" format, you can get rid of it by editing the Default New Doc Sizes.txt file. This file is hiding inside the Required folder, which is inside the Photoshop directory in Windows, and inside the Photoshop.app folder on the Macintosh. (If you're running Mac OS X, you'll need to Control-click on the Photoshop application, select Show Package Contents, then open the Contents folder in order to see the Required folder.) It's important to save these files as text-only files, or else they may cause trouble. In fact, it's a good idea to keep a copy of the original files someplace, just in case. When you're done editing, relaunch Photoshop and open the New dialog box to see the change."

If you go Here (http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13524), someone has already modified the file, so that all you have to do is rename the old one 'orig-Default New Doc Sizes.txt' and drag his file into your 'required' folder. (Finding the 'required' folder is what took me all day! I didn't realize it was 'hidden'!) This works...I already tested it!

crafty grandmommie
10-16-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks (is Margaret your name?) that is good info to know. Will have to try it later.

midnightangel
10-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info!!!!

illinimom
10-16-2007, 11:46 AM
No...I'm