PDA

View Full Version : Element Creation Challenge

~Karen~
08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
When I saw Pams bow in her Easter LO, I got to thinking about how cool it would be to create my own elements. So I was thinking that sometime in the near future it would be a fun challenge to use the tutorial that oniska posted in the Digi Tips thread ( http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorialselements.htm ) or any tutorial to create our own items and make them available to each other as a freebie. Maybe when we get good, we could all design an item to be put into a kit to be made available to the public as a freebie from this site. It would be such an honor for people to use my digi designs in their LO.

What do you think about having an element creating challenge? It could be anything from pattern paper, bows, buttons, brads, alphas, to whatever you want to experiment with.

Cass17
08-08-2007, 09:27 AM
I need to get better first, but I did make my own patterned paper and a ribbon so far. I also made an embossed swirl. I have no idea where they are, though.

~Karen~
08-08-2007, 09:34 AM
I tried to make a button, but it turned out pretty bad. My holes were off center and I couldn't get it to bevel like I wanted it to. But this challenge certainly isn't to prove how good we are. This challenge would be meant to inspire us to try new things, get ideas and advice from others from their techniques, etc.

crafty grandmommie
08-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Karen, that sounds like fun. That's what I want to learn to do - make my own stuff.

oniska
08-08-2007, 03:53 PM
fantastic that would be great

illinimom
08-09-2007, 12:34 AM
Sounds like fun...I'm in!

Cass17
08-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I made my own circle brush, but have no idea on how to share it.

crafty grandmommie
08-13-2007, 01:51 PM
Do you know where you file for it is? Guess you would just upload it somewhere that people can download it, the same as for the .jpg files. Then they would just have to know where to place it in the PhotoShop Brush folder.

~Karen~
08-14-2007, 08:43 PM
I wonder if we would put it into a zip file like everyone else does. I don't know anything about zip files other than extracting things from them.

crafty grandmommie
08-14-2007, 09:08 PM
That is something I need to play with also. I have never zipped anything either.

carrottop50
08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I am interested too in the challenge...because I want to learn to do my own designs too...and it seems if I do the challenges I learn more and faster...LOL I need to find some good tutorials for Paint Shop Pro Photo XI for me...as that is the program I have. Both Photo Shop Pro and Paint Shop Pro are just about the same, just have to learn the "talk". As for doing the zip file...that is very easy with the JustZIPit program that Lynn suggested. You just put everything you want in a file and then right click on that file then select JustZIPit - create a zip file ... and it does the work.... hope that helps
Nancy

illinimom
08-15-2007, 12:28 PM
I tried zipping my strawberry paper before I loaded it to my Imagestation site, but was very disappointed to see it shrunk only to 14.9 MB from an orignal 15 MB. So I did some checking, and apparently, because JPEG is already a compressed file, you can't do much to compress it further. So I'm guessing it is only effective to zip a folder of files, and only if they are not all jpegs.

crafty grandmommie
08-15-2007, 01:56 PM
That's interesting to know

luvscraping
08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
I have been making my own stuff for a little while. I bought some commicral (sp?) kits because I when I make a kit so to say I want to share them with everyone, you can find some of the kits I have done on my blog, still learning the ins and outs of this and it seems like I will never figure out everything or even remember it so I print out the instructions and put them in a folder for later. I use 4share.com to share may zip files. It is free so that makes it easy.

here is a LO I done with a kit I made, this is without all the ribbons and all that, that comes in the kit

oniska
08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by carrottop50:
I am interested too in the challenge...because I want to learn to do my own designs too...and it seems if I do the challenges I learn more and faster...LOL I need to find some good tutorials for Paint Shop Pro Photo XI for me...as that is the program I have. Both Photo Shop Pro and Paint Shop Pro are just about the same, just have to learn the "talk". As for doing the zip file...that is very easy with the JustZIPit program that Lynn suggested. You just put everything you want in a file and then right click on that file then select JustZIPit - create a zip file ... and it does the work.... hope that helps
Here is one I found I don't know if will help
Nancy http://www.cathyscorner2.com/psplinks/authors_2.html

carrottop50
08-16-2007, 12:25 PM
thanks for the info but this site might be just a little over my head....unless they help me along with this one....lol... again thanks
Nancy