PDA

View Full Version : Provo Craft Chisel it???

LoriS.
07-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Anyone have this tool? Do you like it?

http://store.scrapbook.com/nm-19-1028.html

AVONCHICK
07-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I bought this last year. (gotta go find it...) worked great, was able to do embossing pretty easy, my son and daughter (11 and 5) LOVE it, bought them some of the Terra cotta pots and they Chiseled out decorations (taped stencils to the pot and they "Colored In") on it for presents for their grandmother.

Very easy tool to use.

LoriS.
07-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Shannon, thanks for letting me know, The fact that my kids can use it too is a benefit! Anything I can find to occupy them so I can craft is a hit.

bitaglitz
07-04-2007, 09:03 AM
A friend bought this tool for me. I have used it to shicled the edges of chipboard and thicker papers. It works well in small spaces and it is nice to use for prcise scoring. Otherwise, I just like to use a sandpaper sponge for the larger areas to be sanded.

It is nice, as Avonchick shared, to emboss with. It helps to keep your hand from getting tired from pressing down over a stencil. Just make sure that you have extra batteries close by because the chisle can use up a batterery and you will only be half way through your project.

Judy

LoriS.
07-04-2007, 09:06 AM
thanks Judy! Wouldn't it be nice if they'd make it with a ac adapter?

bitaglitz
07-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Yes it would1 but, I will give you a hint:

Instead of buying and using s Chisel you can buy a small hand-held Dremel that has a cord and/or adapter or a replaceable battery (Black and Decker has one.)that comes with all the same attachemnts and more than the Chiselit. It is the kind that I use for carving my gourds and others use for finer detail work on wood or clay projects. So, look in your hubby's tool shed for this and you can avoid buying a Chislet, all together!

Judy

LoriS.
07-04-2007, 04:58 PM
that's all it is? a cheap dremmel lol, I have two. Maybe you could post a pic of the tips that come with Chisel it? I haven't seen a pic of the tool that showed the attachment. Had I seen those I would have figured out it was a dremmel. Thanks!

ziggyeor
07-04-2007, 06:14 PM
LOL figures that you could use one better tool than what they're trying to sell you. I think hubby has a dremel but it's quite large how big is this thing?

Ziggy

AVONCHICK
07-04-2007, 06:51 PM
This link has a basic picture and description of all the tips and what they are used for.

http://store.scrapbook.com/nm-19-1028.html

midnightangel
07-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Lori, I have the chisel it and hate it.... I ended up getting a Dremel. I think you can get a small Dremel at Wal-Mart for around 10.00.
The Chisel it just didn't work "for me", I had the bits falling out while I was using it (for the first time even). I gave it to DH to see what I was doing wrong and he said I done nothing wrong. The bits just didn't fit right. I know DH has the small Dremel that he uses for cleaning his golf clubs. Dremel works just the same ( and a little better for me).

bitaglitz
07-05-2007, 01:05 AM
It sounds like your Chiselit was faulty. My unit holds the tips very snuggly. And I do have to say that the Chiselit does not have the power of a Drememl. If you press down too hard with it, it stops the turning action of the tips.

If you have a Big Lots you can find an off-brand dremmel that has a power cord attached to it and it comes in a carrying case with about 20 different tips. It costs around $19.00. I like this one the best. It is light weight, is about 8-9 inches long and is about 1 1/2" round.

You can also pick up the Black and Decker hand-held unit at WalMart. It is about $25.00. It comes with its own rechargeable power pack. This one is a bit more bulky and heavier. It holds a charge for about a 1/2 hr of constant use and then it has to be recharged again. I use this one as a back up.

But, I do use my Chislet for small projects like tags. It is also easier to take to swaps since it is in a tiny carrying case.

Judy

blu
07-05-2007, 03:56 AM
Jo's had the replacement tips on clearance for 50 cents. DH bout two sets to use in his Dremel!