PDA

View Full Version : I am in love with creamy...

gailteach
01-04-2012, 02:39 PM
...Polenta!

I made it for the first time last week and now I can't get enough of it.

4 cups of water
3 1/2 cups of milk
1 1/2 cups Red Mill Stone Ground Whole Grain Cornmeal (coarse)
1 1/2 teaspoons of kosher or sea salt

Bring water and milk to a simmer. Stir in cornmeal. Cook and stir a couple of minutes. Reduce heat to lowest setting and cover. Let cook for 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so. Cook until al dente. I found 20 minutes was about right.

Add 2 tablespoons of butter and a 1/2 cup of cheese. I used some leftover Bree and parm. YUMMY!!!

For breakfast this morning I had leftover polenta with an egg on top and microed it for 2 1/2 minutes on high. Complex carbs, grain and protein.:D Oh yah and some fat!!!

QuesMom
01-04-2012, 02:50 PM
LOL It's good fat Gail! Sounds yummy! To bad I am to lazy to cook for myself in the day time! I need to quit living on yogurt, granola and pita chips with spinach dip!

gailteach
01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
The funny things is, I think what I like best is the little corn bits that are in my teeth to snack on later. lol

Cyndi
01-04-2012, 03:31 PM
That is something that I have never made and I bet I would love it.

I was reading around. Is polenta and grits the same thing? From what I'm reading it is.
I have been eating grits all my life, not with cheese but butter and pepper.

gailteach
01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Polenta is yellow corn meal and grits are white corn. I have read that the coarse grind is much better.
I made some more for dinner tonight. Can you overdose on corn products??? lol

gluemore girl
01-05-2012, 06:32 AM
I haven't had polenta in a long time. I used to make it all the time. MIL makes it and puts it into a pie dish w/either sauce and parmesan or put mushrooms on top. Yum!

LuLu
01-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Sounds yummy. My DH has making cornbread for the kids. I don't think our cornmeal is coarse. I wonder if that'll make a difference?

QuesMom
01-05-2012, 09:15 AM
OK...This is too good to let go, Kiss my Grits! LOL

Line a meatloaf pan with Saran wrap, pack in your Polenta or grits (make it thick), chill over night in the fridge...Lift out of the pan by the wrap, peel off wrap and slice into 1.5-2" thick slices and brown them in a skillet with a spray of Olive Oil and a bit of garlic...Serve with sauce...This is good!