PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

QuesMom
12-20-2011, 09:34 AM
OK...I don't use recipes so this is a close guess at what I use...

You will need about 4 cups of cooked chopped chicken ( I used 8 split skinless bone-in chicken breasts) I cooked then with salt, pepper, a pinch of crushed garlic and 1 cup of water in the pressure cooker...Cooled, boned and diced up...Strained the broth and then added 1 tabls chicken base (from spice store, not chicken cubes) and about 2 cups of water (you just need to cover the veggies enough to cook them), then added 3 large diced potatoes, 4 large diced carrots and 1/2 half diced yellow onion and 2/3 a bunch of celery diced...Simmer until just fork tender...

You need 4 pie crusts and 2 8x8 square cake pans or 2 9" round deep dish pie tins...

Add 1 cup of half and half to the cooked veggies and broth, use a bit of flour and water to thicken (not as thick as gravy, it will tighten a bit baking) and when done add the chicken and simmer for a few minutes...Just before you spoon into your baking dish, stir in a package of frozen organic peas or fresh if you can find them...

Put you bottom crust in and fill with you chicken mixture...Add your top crust and seal (I fold bottom over top and the fold over again and finger crimp) make sure to cut 2-3 small vent slits in the top...

Bake at 425 for about 30-45 minutes...The crust got too brown on the edges so you may want to foil them half way through and when you see the mixture bubbling under the crust, it's done!

Cyndi
12-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Sounds good. I just use leftover most of the time but I do use a gravy mix in mine for flavor and to thicken it
some. I have even made mine with leftover chicken soup and then the gravy mix. :o I use bought pie shells
because mine mever come out right.

QuesMom
12-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Cyndi after doing this from scratch, I don't plain on it very often! WAY too much to do! I am still doing my best to eat more natural as it is helping the Lupus...I got the pie crust mix from Wheelers store, I can't make them to save my soul either! LOL

LuLu
12-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I can't make pie crust either; that's DH job. He'd rather make his own than "allow" me to buy one.
Recipe sounds good.

gluemore girl
12-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks Karne! I might try to make one soon.

QuesMom
12-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Maria, if you can't find or do not have chicken base, look for organic chicken stock, it is richer in flavor than chicken broth in a can...It was a lot of work, but it was really, really good!

I have had 3 calls from the girls at work wanting to know how to make it because it is all LP has talked about all day! I had a small dish of filling left over and that is what I had for lunch too!

mommaidwf
12-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Sounds good! Thanks for sharing!