PDA

View Full Version : How Much Water do You Need to Drink?

Jenna
05-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I found this article to be very helpful...

How Much Water do You Need to Drink?

A good estimate is to take your body weight in pounds and divide that number in half. That gives you the number of ounces of water per day that you need to drink. For example, if you weigh 160 pounds, you should drink at least 80 ounces of water per day. If you exercise you should drink another eight ounce glass of water for every 20 minutes you are active. If you drink alcohol, you should drink at least an equal amount of water. When you are traveling on an airplane, it is good to drink eight ounces of water for every hour you are on board the plane. If you live in an arid climate, you should add another two servings per day. As you can see, your daily need for water can add up to quite a lot.

Twenty percent of your water need will come from the foods you eat. The rest of your water need should come from the beverages you drink. Water is the best choice. Sodas have a lot of sugar in them, so if you drink sodas, you may take in more calories than you need. Herbal teas that aren't diuretic are fine. Sports drinks contain electrolytes and may be beneficial, just look out for added sugar and calories that you don't need. Juices are good because they have vitamins and nutrients.

Caffeinated beverages will also add to your daily water need. Even though caffeine is a diuretic, if you regularly consume caffeine, your body will regulate itself to that diuretic effect.

oniska
05-17-2007, 01:04 PM
good info

Dianacraftstoo
05-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks Jenna for the information. I always wondered how they decide the number. TFS

Diana

jujuann
05-17-2007, 10:20 PM
Hey do you realize that a person who weighs over 300, needs about 150 ounces....that's almost 19 8oz glasses. Wow. I'd never get out of the bathroom to scrap. I do try to get 8 to 10 glasses each day, but that is no where near 1/2 of my weight. Guess I'd better ramp it up. I do know that when I pour in the liquids, the weight almost melts off.

Baseballmom
05-18-2007, 06:19 AM
Thanks for this info! I know that a few years ago I stopped drinking all other liquids except for water - VERY boring at first. Soon, I was use to it and I feel 100% better. The water does help keep me full and I know my skin and hair are much better.

Cass17
05-19-2007, 02:49 PM
I def. don't drink enough water. I maybe drink 4 glasses a day and always keep a cup on my nightstand in case I get thirsty during the night. I do drink decaf. coffee and that has water in it if that counts. I have to make an effort to drink more.

Holly Smith
05-20-2007, 10:21 AM
There are so many studies but I don't think any of them really has got it right.

I read that the original estimate of 64 ounces a day was actually intended to show the water in the foods we eat, not what we are supposed to drink in excess of the water we get from food.

I drink when I'm thirsty. That usually means somewhere between 40-100 ounces a day. I've had a cold this week, so I've been drinking much more. We keep a water stand in the most common crossing place in the house, and I find I drink more water that way.

I second the bit about extra water on a plane and during exercise, though.

sbartist
05-25-2007, 05:27 PM
With all that water you have to ingest - who needs to eat!!!

Maybe that's the whole point, drink more water, eat less food (as I sit here and finish yet another soda).

Fluffy scrapper's Unite!

ziggyeor
05-25-2007, 05:54 PM
lol yeah when I cut off the Dr. Pepper I drank that 8 glasses or tried too and after 8 I only drank water if I got hungry. I'm keepin 15 pounds of my 20 off though http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ziggy

Jenna
05-26-2007, 04:02 AM
Fluffy scrapper's Unite!

You are too funny!! http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Poohdivams
05-28-2007, 10:13 AM
not enough then according to my body weight !

thecountryrose
06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Be careful with how much water you drink over 32 oz. a day. Our Dr. told us if you drink too much it will screw up your potasium levels in your blood and then you really have problems! Check with your own personal physician on how much to drink over 32 oz.

sbartist
06-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I am not a water drinker unless I am at home and it has ice in it. At work, I just can't drink the amount of water I should be drinking without ice.

I have in the past week purchased flavored water and I love it, Lemon and Grape are my favorite. I know it's probably not as good as plain water, but it definitely has to be better for me then Diet Pepsi.

Baseballmom
06-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by thecountryrose:
Be careful with how much water you drink over 32 oz. a day. Our Dr. told us if you drink too much it will screw up your potasium levels in your blood and then you really have problems! Check with your own personal physician on how much to drink over 32 oz.

That is a good point. My doctor had me include at least 1 banana a day to help me with my leg cramps, because of low potasium.

oniska
06-12-2007, 08:32 AM
My RA docter has me drink 8 -8oz of water a day and in the summer he has me drink 10-8oz a day. I have noticed in every diet that they want you to drink 8 glasses a day and do excerise and eat sensibly. Do you think if we realize this that maybe the Diet regimines would go put of business.

thecountryrose
06-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by oniska:
My RA docter has me drink 8 -8oz of water a day and in the summer he has me drink 10-8oz a day. I have noticed in every diet that they want you to drink 8 glasses a day and do excerise and eat sensibly. Do you think if we realize this that maybe the Diet regimines would go put of business.

Wouldn't it be great if we all knew how to eat properly? We would put a lot of companies out of business! The soda companies, refined foods, candy companies, snack companies- just to name a few. I was reading an article that talked about the history of food portions in this country at fast food places. About 10 yrs. ago a drink was 12 oz. It increased a few yrs. later to 20 oz. and now you can get the 32 oz. size. The article went on to explain how greater serving sizes have become the norm for us in the USA and contributing to weight gain, not only in adults, but children as well. I also read another article a year or so ago about how other countries are now dealing with diseases that they never had much of before- like heart disease for one, and it is due to American fast food places going in. That ought to tell us something huh?

iLuvTokioHotel
06-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the helpful info. I have never ever liked water. It just tasted like nothing so I drank sodas and juice and all that stuff but about 4 months ago I started drinking water (I wanted to give it a try because it is so healthy for you and sodas are loaded with sugar) and now I don't drink anything else. I love water. I tried to drink a soda and I took one sip and that was it..I could not finish it. I just got used to water. Also, I am trying to avoid sweets, today it has been 7 days since I ate any chocolate and candies so I am hanging in there http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif but it's definitely hard, as I love chocolate and ice cream, etc.

thecountryrose
07-02-2007, 09:44 AM
That's really great! Good for you!! I only drink water too, and milk- once a day. We have a really good water filtration system so our water tastes really good. You can always add a slice of lemon or lime to your water to give it a bit of flavoring too.

One of my DD's lost five pounds just by giving up soda. When I had anatomy in college, I learned that besides being loaded with sugar, the phosphorus in soda is also bad for your bones. It literally eats your bones. I raised my kids on healthy foods and when they were little they would turn down Kool-aid and soda even if I wasn't with them. Then give the person who offered it to them a lecture on how bad sugar is for your body, lol! The older girls are all in their 20's and only one of them has ever had a cavity. That DD only having had one minor one.

Sad to say, but the last few years I had gotten away from healthy eating. What helps me to avoid the foods that I don't need is to ask myself if this food is going to contribute to the overall health and well being of my body. I 'really' wanted to eat some chips one day and I visualized all the fats in them floating around in my blood- gross(!)- I grabbed an apple instead http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. I do need chocolate every so often and have discovered Weight Watchers frozen fudge bars at the grocery store. Only one point and they do take care of the occasional chocolate craving http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Keep up the good work! You probably feel better since giving up sugary stuff. Isn't it wonderful?