PDA

View Full Version : Banana's Foster

Cher56
03-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Has anyone ever had this? I had never heard of it until I saw Paula Dean make one and thought it looked so good. So when I bought groc.'s I bought the items I needed to make one. It was delicious. Simple and quick dessert.

Here is Paula's recipe:
1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 bananas peeled and halved, cut lengthwise
1/4 cup dark rum (I used cognac, didn't have rum)

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add brown sugar and stir together. Add bananas and cook until caramelized over medium heat. Pour in the rum and catch a flame off the gas stove or a BBQ lighter. Stand back when ignited and flambe. Be careful; a flame will shoot up above the pan. Let the flame die down. Serve over vanilla ice cream and or a slice of pound cake.

YUM!!!

midnightangel
03-30-2010, 08:56 AM
yes I've heard of it, and I've seen Paula Deen make it also.... I've just never tried to make it. I think it would be fabulous. I just wouldn't get to eat any because of the banana's giving me migraines. A little scared of the flame, but I would totally try to make it.

mommaidwf
03-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I heard of it but I didn't know what it was. I had this at church a couple weeks ago! It was really good! I don't know how he made it, but I'm sure glad you posted this. Isn't it funny how all of Paula's recipes start with a stick of butter!?!?!?

scrappin_mom3
03-30-2010, 01:25 PM
yes, I use to make this all the time for the DH and myself! The only difference to my recipe is that I also added a 1/4 cup of banana liqueur.

Cyndi
03-31-2010, 08:05 AM
I have heard of this and seen it like on Paula Deen but I've never tried it. It sounds and looks delicious. :)

Cher56
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
I was afraid of trying to flame it too, butI did it and it wasn't so bad, just stood back a bit then lit it. I am in love with this dessert now.

judyjay
03-31-2010, 12:08 PM
The chef at the Taste of Home cooking school I went to last night made a bananas foster shake that sure sounded good. As soon as I have a chance, I'll try it out & then see if I can share the recipe.

Cher56
04-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Sounds good Judy