PDA

View Full Version : Sizzix for die cuts.

Janice
04-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Has anyone used the Sizzix Machine or the Sizzix Sidekick for die cuts, I am worried about buying it because of the price, and not to sure how often I will use it. If anyone can help me please let me know.

04-27-2006, 06:20 AM
I really hope someone out there can post a review. I was looking at buy this myself but the price is high and I'm not sure how great they work. plus all the extra money your going to spend if you wanted the letter or other items. and insight would be great.

scrapbookfreak
04-27-2006, 04:45 PM
I got the Sizzix Machine it is great I love using it for frames. That was my main reason for buying it because, I have the hardest time with trying to cut out frames by hand. I have had it for over a year now, I never got the letters or other dies because I feel that I got my money out of it with just the frames. Plus the letter dies are not cheap, and its just as easy to buy the already cut letters. I hope I helped I have never done a review on anything before. Any other questions please ask. You can get the Sizzix Machine on there web site sometimes they run specials. Or you can get it at most any craft store, not sure which one would be cheaper. I look around for like 6 months before I got mine I was looking and waiting for them to go on sale then I buy the dies when they are on sale. I really love making the frames with it is so easy and you can make them out of any paper to really help those pages pop!

Janice
04-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks Scrapbookfreak, I want it for frames and letters so my letter match my frame. I think other then it being so easy it will help me make better pages. I don't need it for the other shapes I like useing stickers for that. Maybe I could talk my husband in to it for Mothers Day. http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif A girl can try right?

Sherry
05-25-2006, 05:57 AM
I have both the sizzix and the sidekick and I use them all the time. The alphabets are a good investment, I have three sets and I use them alot. The die cuts are great because you can finish them by chalking them, using interesting paper etc. I always use coupons when I add to my set. I have gotten lots of dies when CreativeXpress is having one of its great sales. I love the sizzix!! Sherry

mommaidwf
05-25-2006, 06:24 AM
I just got my Sizzix about a month ago. So far I have three dies I won off of ebay. Always check there. Also, Michael's and AC Moore always have coupons for 40% off and occasionally it will be 50%. I bought mine for 50% at ACM. It was 40 dollars. You can also use the coupons for the dies which will save you a bit of money. You can also use the sizzix for more that just paper. Foamie sheets, material, leather... Hope this helps you make your decision. Another idea - check out your local scrapbook store and see if they have one and if you can try it out.

Jennifer
05-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I have both the sizzix and the quickutz. You can use the Quickutz dies in the sizzix and sidekick machines with the adapter. Sizzix has lowered their prices and keep running great deals. Also you can get some great bargains on ebay.

Good luck!

Jennifer

Cass17
05-25-2006, 01:45 PM
I love my Sizzix. I also have the sidekick. My new thing is to cut chipboard and then paint it with acrylic paint and emboss it with UTEE. It makes great embellishments like photo turns, slide mounts, etc.

Janice
05-25-2006, 09:53 PM
Thank you to everyone for the help. I got a Cricut for mothers day. It is the greatest thing I have for scrapbooking. You can do so much with it, don't get me wrong its pricy but totally worth it. it comes with one cartridge for fonts and shapes you can choose your size from 1inch to 5.5 inches whatever you want. Oh I love this product. I just hate the fact that now this site is giving one away but I love my mothers day gift. But it not the reason I'm on this site it more to learn and meet people, but free stuff is always so nice.

Carli'sGrandma
05-27-2006, 09:00 AM
I use mine all the time. Now I have had it for about a year and spent a fortune on it. Now I wish I had compiled all the money I put into my sizzex dies (70 shapes & 4 Alphabets)I would have more than enough to buy the Wishblade which would do it all plus more.

Donna http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Janie in Texas
06-01-2006, 03:22 PM
My local Hobby Lobby have all their dies on sale. The girl in the store told me they were going to discontinue them. Don't know how true that is.

Cass17
06-03-2006, 08:17 PM
I doubt Sizzix will be discontinued...that store may not carry them anymore, but Sizzix is coming out with so many new things these days. I like that you can cut thick things with the Sizzix which you cannot do with Cricut or Wishblade. Even if I could get a wishblade I would keep my Sizzix.
Donna - you could always sell your dies on ebay and make some money to put towards the Wishblade. Some of those dies sell for almost retail on ebay.

Janie in Texas
06-04-2006, 10:03 PM
I meant to say they are going to quit selling them.

06-08-2006, 07:41 PM
I have the sizzix machine. I love the machine and couldn't live without mine. I have several dies and four alphabets. The alphabets are great because you can get the style your wanting. I find alot of my sizzix items at sizzix.com, creative express, or ebay. A co worker and I trade our dies to each other. It makes it nice because I have borrowed several dies that I have used once in a LO. Another things that is nice is people make a list and exchange them with each other. If someone wants a new look or test out a die or alphabet that is always nice.

kesha
06-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I have both. Use them a lot. I have 4 sizzlets alphabets & lots of dies. The sidekick will also cut quickutz & ellision thins with the adapter. If you are buying a new machine for the first time I would purchase the bigshot. It will do both kinds of dies (thick & thin ones). Plus the bigshot will cut more than one thin at a time. I think it will do 4 or 6 on the board.

Sharlotte
09-15-2006, 07:28 AM
My daughter-in-law and I like the sizzix big machine for the big dies and the sidekick for the slim dies. They both work great and are made to last a long time. No computer parts to wear out or freeze up on you. You do have to replace the adapter pads (hard plastic thingys) once in a while but not very often. I guess it depends on how much you use it and how hard your press down. They last a long time. You are limited to the die designs from sizzix and a few others that will fit the sidekick but ... HEY! for the price and the reliability.... it is great!!! And sizzix continues to add new die designs. Love it!!

luvstoscrap
03-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Me too I love my sidekick. I use it all the time. That was one of my first purchases.

javamom
03-27-2007, 05:29 PM
I love my Sizzix and just got the Sizzix Sidekick a few weeks ago, and adore it too. I never had good luck with the Sizzlets going through the Sizzix, but they come out quick,easy and fully cut w/ the sidekick!

Cass17
03-27-2007, 05:59 PM
I love my Sidekick, too. On sunday I had it out on the front porch cutting some stuff for my neighbor. It's so portable.

sfwhite
03-29-2007, 04:49 AM
I have a Sizzix that I use almost weekly. It's very easy to use and I purchase my dies on sale.

mommaidwf
03-29-2007, 06:23 AM
I must confess. Even though I won the Cricut, I still bought a new Sizzix die the other day. Our ACM has a bunch on clearance for 50% off, so I picked up the slide mounts. I like to have those out of chipboard. And even though I've had my sizzix for a year, that was only my fifth die.

Dianacraftstoo
03-29-2007, 08:31 AM
I have had my sidekick for 2 years and maybe used it a few times not because I did not like it but because I did not have the dies to use. I just learning with all the other ones that you can use with it and waiting for my new pad that are 13" long so I can use my cb alpha dies in it.
Diana

Jenna
03-30-2007, 06:15 AM
I have both the Sizzix and Cricut. I use both. The Cricut is much more portable for crops and such, however the Sizzix is wonderful because you can cut chipboard, facbic, multiple layers of paper, etc. I think it is well worth the price. Our local ACM has all their dies on clearance right now, preparing for the new line. You might be able to find some great deals.
~Jenna

Holly Smith
04-12-2007, 09:08 PM
While I like the Cuttlebug better, the Sizzix was still a very good machine. Not only that, but kids love cutting things with it! Even my three-year-old niece knows how to use it, although she can't pull the lever down all the way.

Taffy
04-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I have a sizzix that i got for my annie, and i love it!! This year for my annie, my DH bought me a cricut.. i love that too.. there are so many things that i can do that my cricut can't do.. http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I usually buy my dies during Sizzix's Tuesday Teasers or creativexpress's sales, or use a coupon at your chain stores. Some girls have mentioned their LSS will take competitor's couponshttp://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

javamom
04-25-2007, 05:59 AM
I have both Sizzix and Sidekick and love them both. A hi tech diecutting machine is not in my budget,and this is the perfect solution for me at this point.

The great thing about both those machines is that if somewhere down he road you decide to move up to another machine- the Sizzix machines & dies have great resale potential-They stil fetch a pretty good price on eBay.

sbartist
04-25-2007, 09:59 AM
I have the Cuttlebug that I use my Sizzix dies in. I also have two Sidekicks that I also use with Sizzlits and QuicKutz.

Stamp Queen
05-24-2007, 02:08 PM
I have the Sizzix, the Sidekick, and the Cricut. I use the Sizzix the most because it is so fast to use and will do both the Sizzix dies and Sizzlets. The Sidekick is great if you need something portable and will use the small dies a lot. The Cricut is good for some things, but all in all I just don't use it as much as the other 2! It's a pain to drag it out and set it up. In the times it takes to get everything connected and ready to go, I could have it all done on my Sizzix! The mat doesn't last long and half the time it doesn't cut all the way through my Bazil cardstock and it wastes my paper! Grrrrr!! http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I think the Sizzix saves on paper, and of course you can cut other things besides paper too. Are you totally confused now?!!!! http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

jujuann
05-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Ladies,
I was told at the SB convention I attended last Sat that the Sizzix , except for one model, the sidekick I think, is being discontinued by the company and that is why the ACM and Mikes have all the things on sale. There were two ads for them in our paper, for sale. When I called, one was a ACM employee and one a Mikes employee. They were selling because it was being discontinued. I was told that smaller SB stores, and online, might still have the machines and dies. Thought you might like to have the info.

Stamp Queen
05-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Sizzix just merged with Elison and are getting rid of everything with the old logo on it. I haven't heard anything about them discontinuing the Sizzix. They did just came out with the Big KIck though, which might be a better investment since it will take larger dies. They just put out a whole new line of products.

ScrappySam
05-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Good to know, ladies - thanks for all the useful information. I bought the Sizzix & Sidekick about 6 months ago - and I don't know how I got along without them before! Of course gave me more reasons to shop (sales, etc.). I've collected a large assortments of dies and alphas and love them all.

Janice - did you ever get a Sizzix/Sidekick?

jujuann
05-24-2007, 07:34 PM
That was it, The Bigkick is the only one they are keeping. I understand that the sizzix dies can be used in the Cuttlebug, so I am going to pick up some on sale.

flo
05-25-2007, 08:37 AM
I own the Sizzix, Sidekick, and BigShot and love them all. I actually use them quite often -
more than I thought I ever would. And amazingly enough I use the miscellaneous shaped dies quite a bit because I'm a card maker.
I have a huge library of dies after having the original Sizzix for a number of years but the kinds of dies that really got me to purchase it in the first place were the Sizzlit alphabets, and the basic geometric shapes. Since then I've added plenty of Alphabars.
Everybody needs alphabets and the basic geo's are great for matting letters, pics, stickers, and other embellishments.
The beauty of the non-electric die cutters (Sizzix, BigShot, BigKick) is that they can cut other craft media other than paper. They'll cut cork, metal, plastics, sandpaper, magnet, fabric, fun foam, and much much more. There's nothing like using sand paper letters for a beach page. The alphabars and original Sizzix alphabets will cut that same variety of materials so you can go with texture in your words or titles.

For those of you who own the Sidekick or Tagalong those 13" pads are great for cutting multiple letters at a time if you own Sizzlit alphabets. Each set of pads will hold 4 or 5 dies to make cutting titles and words for your pages go much faster.

mommaidwf
05-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Why would they discontinue it when they are making a new line of dies? That doesn't make sense to me http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif. Can the regular sizzix dies be used in the Big Kick? Or do I need to start trying to stock up on dies?

Cass17
05-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Cindy - The regular sizzix dies are supposed to fit into the BigKick, but not the other way around because they are too wide for the Sizzix.