PDA

View Full Version : No Buying Challenge

gluemore girl
01-11-2010, 07:19 AM
I know we've all done this before but...:rolleyes:
on another board one of the ladies is going to reward herself financially for each page she completes from her stash.
Her goal is $100 for 100 pages.
Now since I only made 35 pages last year... this would take me 3 years!
That being said, I am going on a scrap retreat in 2 weeks and after that I am going to start.
I'm thinking $0.50 or $1.00 per page and $0.25 or $0.50 per card.... that might add up quicker than I thought!
Anyone else in??

Cyndi
01-11-2010, 08:06 AM
:eek: Are you saying I can't buy anything until I have either made enough cards or layouts to pay for it? :eek:

Ummmmmmm........Ummmmmm..... Just don't know if I can do it. :o

CHA stuff is comming out.

laurat99
01-11-2010, 08:36 AM
I've been pretty productive the past few weeks, so I can't be a part of this. Besides, I need some Halloween paper, 'cause I don't have 1/2 a piece of it in my stash.

QuesMom
01-11-2010, 11:59 AM
With CHA...you have got to be kidding! I will buy for the next 30 days or so and then maybe not again for 6 months or so...Right now is SU Sale-a-Bration and I have to get my order in to get free stamps and paper!

jujuann
01-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I'd love to join you, but I've started the year spending. I ordered the Top Note die from SU and spent $50 between Mikes, BL and HL just last week. But I think I'm finished for a while. Hmmm, at $.50 a page and $.25 a card, I've made 14 cards, so I already have $3.50. OK, I'll go for it and after SB workshop and my crop Fri nite, I'll let you know where I am. Now, do I have to count adhesive in that?????

gailteach
01-11-2010, 03:20 PM
So let me get this straight. I can't buy anything until I have "earned" enough "money" by making things from my stash. I can certainly do this for my personal stuff but not for the tea invitations.
Friday I made 115 gift bags and a gift card holder all from my stash. How much would that be?
I have to see how this works out.

I really liked some of those really bg stamps from Donna Downey.

tlc3plus
01-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Hummm... I'll do this till the next time we go shopping...lol. Remember I live in the boonies and don't get to go often!

Clarinda

LuLu
01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
I've decided that I can buy a nestie or something Spellbinders for every 5 pounds I lose. It was originally going to be 10 but I want more. How's that for motivation!:eek:

QuesMom
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Have you seen the DD downloads from Quickutz? Some of them are really cute!

gluemore girl
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I've decided that I can buy a nestie or something Spellbinders for every 5 pounds I lose. It was originally going to be 10 but I want more. How's that for motivation!:eek:
That kind of thinking is more of a priority for me!!:p
You can buy essentials like adhesive, replacement blades, etc...
Actually you can really make your own rules on this.
I am going to try it b/c I cannot believe how much stuff I have, including stamps that I've not even touched!!:o
So after my crop weekend (and even there I will set a spending limit and stick to it).

tallulah1
01-11-2010, 09:07 PM
this is easy for me - I havent bot anything since July 09!
Janelle

Iowa
01-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I'll give this a try! Now, for me, it cannot include supplies I need for business... I'm a consultant, so I have to buy supplies for classes... But I'll make any purchases for business strictly off limits for personal use!

I'm going $1 a page, $2 per mini-album... And I can't spend anything until I've "earned" at least $50....

What a great challenge!!!! I may make this a permanent part of my scrapping. It would sure get me in the habit of using what I have instead of just buying more and more...

ginnyathome
01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Not for me. I'm shopping today and hoping to get some sale stuff at our LSS where the clearance isle is now 75% off.

Janice
01-12-2010, 11:33 AM
ok i will try this...starting today. so i will not spend if i have not made anything... ok deal. i think i can do this... i only say today cause i went to michaels yesterday....hummm... ok so i am ready.

gailteach
01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
So hey ladies!!! I need your help. How much for the 115 gift bags and the gift card book. (By the way it was a huge hit.)

tlc3plus
01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Not for me. I'm shopping today and hoping to get some sale stuff at our LSS where the clearance isle is now 75% off.

lol... that sounds like me. I also like so much a page and card etc. I can do that and still get to treat myself when I go shopping! I'm all for that one. Because I do work on something every week and this will be a treat but also a budget on what I can spend!

I have gotten to where I was only buying tools...like stamps and nesties and boarder punches...etc. Things that can be reused.

Last week when I went and made 14 note books it was so nice to have everything I need - especially since I live in the boonies! lol

Clarinda

scrappin_mom3
01-12-2010, 02:26 PM
well, I'm kind of doing my own things..I am not allowing myself to buy anymore PP until I completely use one of the DCWV 180 page stacks that I have! I really need to use up some of the paper I have before I get more-- it's ridiculous what I have, and have not touched!

Iowa
01-14-2010, 01:33 AM
You all should be proud of me!

I went to the city shopping today and didn't buy a single scrap item! I looked... but didn't touch! LOL...

:D

gailteach
01-14-2010, 01:38 AM
I still don't know what to credit myself for the gift bags and gift card book.

I need your help.

Iowa
01-14-2010, 01:43 AM
If it were me... I'd count the bags at .75 each... and the book... ??? Don't really know because I haven't seen it and don't know how big or how many pages it has.... I'd say at least a few bucks. :)

gailteach
01-14-2010, 01:44 AM
OOps!!! forgot I need a price for card kits. I made 20 last night.

Cyndi
01-14-2010, 08:43 AM
You all should be proud of me!

I went to the city shopping today and didn't buy a single scrap item! I looked... but didn't touch! LOL...

:D

But did it make your hands all shaky. ...........:D

tlc3plus
01-14-2010, 01:15 PM

lol... I have done it before but... when it's marked down I think look how much I'm saving! lol But the sale things have come in handy with Secret Pal gifts! things that I've bought in duplicate! of course I have to keep one for me!

About the paper packs... I only get them for 1/2 price so the papers are cheaper and I've found out there are pages in them that I don't like.. if I don't use them all for my projects I'll use them for cards that I'm giving away ...lol.

My dd that doesn't like to scrap was over this week one night and my mom and I was in my room playing so when she came in I asked if she wanted to play... well the look I got lol I said why don't you look for some papers you like... she did so now I know what to use on some of her lo's!

Clarinda

Iowa
01-14-2010, 05:20 PM

YEEEES! But I made it through and managed to not give in... I was pretty happy with myself for it!

I can always justify buying stuff because I live out away from the city and only get there a couple times a month... so I usually justify buying with "well, I don't get down here much, and I MIGHT need this...." LOL...

gailteach
01-14-2010, 06:47 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to me.

MsGinnyS
01-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Sounds like the same excuse I use, I don't know when I"ll be back so I better get it now...

ginny

Janice
01-16-2010, 12:36 AM
ok ladies i am helping a friend do a book for her mother... ALL...ALLL... the supplies we are using are mine.... even if i dont get to keep the layout and stuff do i get to count them in as my scrappy bucks??? i have not bought anything newfor this we are just using my stash....SO does it count? even if they are not my pages?

jujuann
01-16-2010, 12:57 AM
Janice are you helping her make the LOs?? If you are, then I'd think they would count.

Gail, how much stuff was in the card kits?? With all you've just done You'll be shopping next week.

gailteach
01-16-2010, 01:04 AM
I gave myself 3 cents for each gift bag, 25 cents for the card kits, and $1.50 for the gift card book.

Janice I think you credit yourself for each page just as if you were doing it for yourself.

Iowa
01-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Janice - I would think they would count... a LO is a LO afterall! :D

gluemore girl
01-16-2010, 01:37 PM
You guys are a riot... I haven't even started yet!! I have to wait til after my crop next weekend... we always go on a shopping spree: on the way to the crop, at the crop, and sometimes even after the crop!

tlc3plus
01-16-2010, 01:40 PM
You guys are a riot... I haven't even started yet!! I have to wait til after my crop next weekend... we always go on a shopping spree: on the way to the crop, at the crop, and sometimes even after the crop!

Sounds like my kind of crop! lol

Yes give yourself credit! After all you will need to replace the supplies with the new stuff out!

$17.00 almost enough for a pad... that's almost enough for 2 on sale! lol

Clarinda

gailteach
01-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Maybe I should go shopping.

gluemore girl
01-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Control yourself and count to 10 gail... ; )

gailteach
01-16-2010, 01:52 PM
I'll crop and then I won't go anywhere.

gluemore girl
01-17-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm going to give myself a $1.00 for each 1/2 hour I walk on the treadmill (another goal of mine) and for each layout. $0.50 for each card I make.
I'm up to $6.00 in scrappy bucks!!

Iowa
01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I've decided on $1 for each LO (single page).... .50 for each card.... and haven't decided on the mini albums yet... I'm thinking .50 for each page because they take almost as much time as a 12 x 12 LO, plus all the extra "stuff" that goes on the binders.... it WAY more than I use on a card....

So far... I'm up to a big, fat ZERO! LOL... It just seems like there are so many other things I "should" do... "need" to do... etc.. :(

LuLu
01-22-2010, 02:35 PM
OK, I'm frustrated! I went to ACM to get something for a gift and they were sold out. I've been wanting CB folders that came out in August but not in the stores - I'm just really resisting ordering them online. I went to M's to buy MS score board but that was sold out. I found so many punches in her line there that I really, really like but I just couldn't justify buying them espcially since I really want to get the stuff that's out of stock. Uuuugh!

Cyndi
01-22-2010, 02:59 PM
The MS score board is what I'm looking for to at M's too. :(

jujuann
01-23-2010, 12:38 AM
I'm holding out for enough scrappy bucks to order a new Cricut cart, or maybe some more nesties.

kray
01-23-2010, 03:59 AM
Our Mikes had a lot of MS scoreboards. Hopefully, soon, your stores will get them in stock. I also love MS punches...I have resisted in buying anymore punches. Last one was in December.

Told myself, I need to use the ones I have.....why buy another, if it sits there liket he rest of them.....so, that is my challenge....no more punches until I use my other ones.

gailteach
01-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Okay I fell off the wagon tonight. I am having a card making party here tomorrow and needed some things for the cards the ladies are putting together. I lost control!!! I bought 3 MS border punches. Guess I am back to zero. I will start over again.

LuLu
01-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Okay I fell off the wagon tonight. I am having a card making party here tomorrow and needed some things for the cards the ladies are putting together. I lost control!!! I bought 3 MS border punches. Guess I am back to zero. I will start over again.

Maybe you'll catch up at your card making party.:D

laurat99
01-23-2010, 09:56 AM
You can use my scrappy bucks! I have as many as you need.

Cass17
01-23-2010, 10:40 AM
how much would you give yourself for a bookmark? 10 cents?

Taffy
01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
cass, i think if it's a book mark and it's not bulky or embellished too much, .10-.15 cents would be fine. ;)

I would love to do $1.00 for cards (being that's a challenge for me.. LOL)