PDA

View Full Version : Pinquito Beans

QuesMom
12-24-2009, 09:07 PM
If you read the *What's for Dinner* you see me talking about Santa Maria Tri Tip BBQ...Well these are the Beans we make to go with it...

I buy about 50 lbs. of dry Pinquito beans every year from Lompoc (near Vandenburg AFB) and use them...If I run out, I buy the canned Pinquito's I can get at the grocery store....These beans make a great meal by them self with warm flour tortillas...yummmm....

Pinquito Beans (pee key toe)

These are called Santa Maria style beans

There are cans of little red beans at the store called Pinquito Beans, this is what you use.

4 cans beans, do not drain
1 lb. Ground meat (this is one you can mix and match) with pork, turkey, veal
2-3 cloves of minced garlic
1 large onion diced
1-8 oz can tomato sauce
2-4 tablespoons chili powder (use chili seasoning if you do not have chili powder)
Brown meat with salt & pepper to taste, with the garlic and onion. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, turn down and simmer for at least an hour for flavor. These are killer with BBQ Tri Tip, they freeze and reheat great and they are good for just dinner with warm tortillas.

My way is to cook the meat ahead of time, i do about 20 lbs at a time and freeze in 1 lb sized vacum seal bags..

Throw everything together in the crockpot and let it go for 6-9 hours and you have the perfect meal or side dish...

Cyndi
12-25-2009, 06:12 AM
I'll look for the beans at the store, love the idea of being able to cook ahead and freeze for later. :)

laurat99
12-25-2009, 07:10 AM
Is there a good substitution for Pinquito beans? I don't think my groceries here have them.

mommaidwf
12-25-2009, 08:19 AM
That sounds good! I'll have to look for those beans.

Cyndi
12-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Is there a good substitution for Pinquito beans? I don't think my groceries here have them.

Don't think that we have them here either but we do have something called small red beans that look like a minature pinto beans that I'm going to try. :)

QuesMom
12-25-2009, 08:51 AM
There are 2 or 3 brands of pinquitos our here in cans...the only sub I can think of might be a small red bean (which I eat, but they are not quite the same, but close)...

When I order beans next February I'll let you all know to see if you want me to send you a Lb. to try them...