PDA

View Full Version : If you take the cellphone away from your child.....

kray
12-12-2009, 04:24 AM
If you ground your child from their cellphone, make sure you take the "sims" card out of it....at least with At&T. They will take the sims card and put it into another phone.

My 14 year old stepdaughter did that to her mom last week. It took her mom a week to find out about that.

I told my husband last year if he ever takes the cell phone away, they need to take the sims card. But he didn't really pay attention to me....he is technology challenged.....so, he doesn't think about it.....but I did tell him "I warned you".

So....hint to other parents.

Side note: My stepdaughter got her phone back two weeks early. So, she knows she can keep being sneaky as her mom will let her off

Oh also.....if you think your child is lying to you on where they are at.....when you have them on the phone with you, tell them to take a photo of the place they are at.....so, either they will get caught in not being the right place, or the peace in knowing that they told you the truth.

Or....if the child decides to outwit, then they will have a pre-photo of the place....time for a date/clothing they were wearing for the evening.

I never thought of that one until an ex-coworker told me that. He had a friend who was a police officer and made his kids do that....I think they were being rebellious, so he was trying to be one step ahead.

Boy....I was afraid of getting into trouble with my mom when I was a teenager...hmmmm...if I knew these tricks...which they didn't have cell phones then.....that would have been interesting.

The worse thing was me prank calling with my girlfriends...that was before caller ID> We still laugh at that one.....Is your refrigerator running? Well, you better go get it. lol

gailteach
12-12-2009, 04:42 AM
My 15 year old doesn't have a cell phone...so guess what he wants for Christmas...an Iphone. No way in _ _ _ _!!! My phone isn't that good and I don't want AT&T.

gail

laurat99
12-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I wonder how long it will be until my 7-year old asks for a phone. Good advice about the SIM chip, though.

mommaidwf
12-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Good advice! I however refuse to by my children cell phones too. My oldest is 12 and he bugs me all the time for one because all his friends have one. I tell him good for them, I'm not the one who has to pay the bill!

gluemore girl
12-13-2009, 07:38 AM
Usually when I've taken the phone away, I take the whole thing and hide it somewhere. Mainly though, I want my kids to have it so when I need to pick them up, etc, we can easily communicate. DS is almost 13 and I want him to have one so when he is out somewhere in the neighborhood, I can call him to come home, etc...
it's just piece of mind for me.
Good tips though, Karen! TFS

jujuann
12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm glad my kids were grown before the cell phone. My DS has thought about getting his son the Disney programable one. You put in the only numbers you want them to use and password it. This is good for the younger kids. His son is 5 and only lives with him every other week. He feels like it may be a safety feature. DS has not gotten it yet, but he's thinking about it.

QuesMom
12-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Judith, we got the Disney phone for my Grandson last year...He is 5 and really loves the fact he can call Grammy every morning before he goes to school, he can dial 911 and home if there is ever a problem...It also has the tracking feature and we can find him by way of the phone...