PDA

View Full Version : Paper making???

gailteach
11-12-2009, 02:20 AM
Is anyone making their own paper? Is so where do you get your supplies?

gail

QuesMom
11-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Years ago Gail, when there was all the big hype I went and got the Paper Making Factory ... For a rough texture paper and the natural look, it is beautiful, but it is also messy and time consuming, required space to lay everything out to dry and press...The plus side, you can add so many natural things to the your paper for accent, but then you need to find a use for the paper and at the time I couldn't so I give it away...

Cyndi
11-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Didn't Micheal's have a kit at one time? Seems like I have seen a small one there. :) That is another one of those crafts that I have wanted to try.

mommaidwf
11-12-2009, 09:20 AM
I had once found instructions on ehow.com. I've been saving little scraps to try to make my own but haven't gotten around to it yet, lol.

QuesMom
11-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Basic cardstock, a teasp. of cornstarch, water...
A piece of window screen (in a wood frame works best)
two sheets of plex-glass and some clamps

tear the paper into small shreds or run through your paper shredder
add to an old blender 2 cups paper, 4 cups water and the cornstarch
Puree until you have it as fine as you like...

Put your screen into the bottom of a like a dish pan...pour your blender over the top and add more water to *float* the shredder paper, shifting it around with the screen like you are panning for gold until your screen has an even coverage of paper mulch...

Lift up and let drain a bit...place on an old towel and press some of the excess water out...turn out onto your plex-glass and press with the other piece and clamps...I can't remember how long it said to leave it, but usually after a couple of hours you can turn it out onto your counter to finish drying...

Sometimes mine would tend to curl and I would tske my iron and give it a press...Like I said there was the cute little kit and it was fun!

laurat99
11-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Sounds like WAAAY too much work for me. But it could be fun if you had special flowers from your garden, etc.

QuesMom
11-12-2009, 12:40 PM
It is also a great summer time project for kids! They love to get in and make things and this is a good one!

Cher56
11-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Gail, I've made my own paper. I took scrap cardstock and or 12x12 scraps and torn them into small pieces ( a good bit of paper) put them in a blender with a good bit of water, blended it. I took a piece of screen cut it 8x10 (to see if it worked) duct taped the sides put it over a flat pan with wood blocks on all sides (so it won't fall in water) poured the mixture over the screen spread it out (wet you hands for this) and make it kinda thin after the water drains take paper towels or an old towel and blot as much water out as possible, remove the paper let it dry and you have homemade paper. It turns out pretty good. It's acid free too if you use your scraps.

I have another project I did. Take shave cream, spray it on a flat pan (cookie sheet you don't use), squirt food color on it (just a drop or two) take a knife and swirl it around in the shave cream with food color to make design, place white cardstock (fairly thick, so it doesn't tear) on shave cream and lightly press down, easily raise it up out of shave cream and blot off shave cream and wal la you have designer paper. You can do 12x12 or 8x11, whatever size you want. It is cool.. This is acid free also.