PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Babies - oven pancakes - YUM!

jBlaze
11-08-2009, 01:39 PM
ok, we live on a farm and I suck at marketing. I sell chicken eggs to a few people at work, but sometimes we get quite a build-up of eggs to use, so I try to find ways to use them. Kids get tired of scrambled eggs, pancakes, etc, so I tried this: (it was awesome! try to get the batter divided evenly, and we used a squeeze lemon juice thing, not fresh slices)

Oven pancakes are served with melted butter and powdered sugar.
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:

3 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
melted butter
confectioners' sugar
lemon and orange slices

Preparation:
In mixing bowl whisk eggs. Add flour to eggs a little at a time, whisking after each addition just until batter is smooth. Add milk in two additions, beating lightly after each addition. Lightly beat in 2 tablespoons of melted butter and the salt. Generously butter two 9-inch pie pans. Pour half of the batter into each pie pan. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 5 minutes. Serve immediately. Offer melted butter, confectioners' sugar in a shaker, and lemon and orange slices as toppings.
Serves 4.

anyone got more yummy eggy recipes ya wanna share? :)

QuesMom
11-08-2009, 02:54 PM
My favorite use for eggs is just palin old everyday Custard...I could eat it every day...

jBlaze
11-08-2009, 03:04 PM
how is custard made??

QuesMom
11-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I like Custard Rice Pudding, but you can leave out the rice if your family does not...

RICE CUSTARD PUDDING
Make pudding with bottom half creamy rice and top half smooth baked custard. Serve cold or hot.

5 c. milk (4 hot, 1 cold)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. rice
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix in saucepan sugar, salt and 4 cups milk. Bring to boiling point. Wash rice and add gradually to boiling milk, stirring constantly while adding (be careful milk does not boil over). Allow rice to simmer very slowly. Cover saucepan. Slowly simmer until rice is tender. Takes 2 hours in double boiler, 1 hour over slow open flame. Watch rice does not stick especially towards end of cooking when all milk is absorbed. Then turn it into a buttered deep 9 inch pudding dish and add vanilla and 1 cup cold milk. Stir to mix thoroughly. Allow to stand while making custard.

CUSTARD:

3 c. milk
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt
Make as baked custard. Pour through strainer on top of rice. Then bake in pan of water and test if done

This is as old as the hills from Cook.com...I like to add dried Cranberries to mine...

QuesMom
11-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Another good one for eggs is plain Rice Pudding, but instead of milk I use Egg Nog and I make my own...1 Dozen eggs to 2 quarts of milk, 2 tsps. of nutmeg, 1/2 tsps. of cinnamon, 1/2 tsps of Allspice...Whip with your electric mixer or blender and us in place of milk for Rice pudding or when making Jello cooked pudding...Do not use for instand pudding as the eggs are not cooked...

jBlaze
11-08-2009, 03:41 PM
that sounds so yum! Is there a particular way to make baked custard, or I can google directions for that?

Thanks. :)

QuesMom
11-08-2009, 03:44 PM
The custard part of the recipe is what you can use, the only thing is custard needs to be cooked in water...pour your custard in a baking and set it inside another baking pan with at least an inch of water in it...It is what makes the custard the right texture and creamy...

jBlaze
11-08-2009, 04:04 PM
thanks! I need to try it soon. :)

QuesMom
11-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Here is another egg one Jean...I make this often...
American Style Frittata

4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 onions, sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup cubed ham I used Turkey Ham or Cooked left over Chicken)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). I cook potatoes in advance maybe 2 days before and keep them in a zip lock bag in the fridge.
In a cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.
Stir in eggs, drained potatoes, ham, salt and pepper. Cook until eggs are firm on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Top frittata with shredded cheese and place in preheated oven until cheese is melted and eggs are completely firm, about 10 minutes.

jBlaze
11-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Oh! that one is perfect for dinner.
Thanks Karen!!

QuesMom
11-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Here is another one we love Egg Foo Young...

I make them as a side dish with stir fty, but you can add any meat, shrimp, chicken and make them a main meal...We serve them with a bit of brown gravy if plain or meat and chicken gravy if I use chicken...

3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
1 slice fresh ginger root, minced
6 green onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 cups bean sprouts
2 mushrooms, sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cooked ham
1 teaspoon salt
6 eggs, beaten
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute ginger, green onions, celery, bean sprouts, mushrooms, green pepper, ham and salt until vegetables are tender.
In a large bowl combine beaten eggs and vegetable mixture.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture to form a small omelet. Cook until golden brown on each side. Repeat with remaining egg mixture.

gailteach
11-15-2009, 08:08 PM
My favorite is Chili Rellano Casserole. I posted it under Favorite Breakfast dish.

hugs
gail

sorry don't know how to post a link.

jBlaze
11-16-2009, 12:12 AM
http://www.startascrapbook.com/community/showthread.php?t=15013
Here is the link to that thread, lol.

Cyndi
11-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Jean, have you tried any of the impossible pies? Most of them take 2 or 3 eggs each. Here's a couple of site's, but all you have to do is google impossible pies and bunches show up. I've never tried any of them because I forget about them.

http://www.aliciasrecipes.com/impossible_pies.htm

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes.aspx/impossibly-easy-cheeseburger-pie/8c78aa78-c368-40fa-8a88-1654640c7525

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1826,155162-224207,00.html