PDA

View Full Version : I am new to digital scrapping ....questions????

kray
09-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I am wanting to do some digital scrapbooking.....and some hybrid to.

The only site I have been on was: cropmom.com

I did a few pages and thought about ordering them.....but I am not for sure how to do that.....there's some downloading, then uploading, then buying/ordering.....

So.....I don't know where to start.

So....any help to get me started? I don't know what all to ask.

illinimom
09-05-2009, 11:04 PM
I'm not real familiar with cropmom.....in fact, I just looked at it for the first time. But from what I've seen, it is not a good choice for digi-scrapping. It looks like they do not actually sell prints of your layouts. They let you create a file online and then DOWNLOAD the hi-res file TO YOU COMPUTER for a fee....$1.79 per file. THEN you can go to a 3rd party and upload the file and have it printed for THEIR fee....usually somewhere between $2 to $6, depending on the company. The files you can download for free from cropmom are NOT print quality files. They are meant for viewing on you computer only.

I don't really see the advantage in using crop mom over just making the layout on your own computer and uploading that file. Maybe to save money on a scrapping program and supplies. But there are plenty of freebies for digi-supplies for someone just starting. And while you will at some point want to spring for a graphics program if you get heavily into digi, you can do it in Power Point or Word to get started. There are also free programs out there. Just make sure you work in hi-res....300 dpi...as opposed to the 72 dpi default for Power Point.

Maybe someone else will tell you cropmom is great, but since I've never used it, I'm just giving my quick take on it.

kray
09-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Thanks for your input.....you gave me the exact answer I was looking for. I was wondering if I was reading it right about having to essentially pay twice for the prints....once from Cropmom for download, then a third party for the actual prints. I am not going to use that site.

I noticed on another post here are a few links, so I am going to look at those. I still like the traditional scrapbooking, but what I need to do at the moment, I will not have time.

I made a family album last year for my mom (Christmas)..."meaning of our names and Bible scriptures". I want to do the same this year for my MIL and FIL, however, DH's parents are divorced so I would have to do over 50 pages and will not have time before Christmas, so I thought of doing a digi album and maybe some hybrid in it as well....now, if I can only get cooperation from my SIL to get me the photos I need for the album.

So right now, my plan is doing the two albums digital....maybe later down the road, get more serious about digital or incorporating it into my scrapping.

Cass17
09-06-2009, 10:06 AM
There are lots of free tutorials out there. I would start with those. If it's in your budget to take a class I recommend Jessica Sprague's classes. There's a beginner one that's supposed to be fantastic. www.jessicasprague.com

illinimom
09-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Karen,
I don't know how well it would work for your books, but Shutterfly has a lot of 'pre-made' digi pages so you just slip your photos in and do a bit of journaling. I think Winkflash and Snapfish also do this. I've never done it because I enjoy playing with all my elements, but I have non-scrapping friends who have gone that route and the results are beautiful. If you are in a hurry, you might want to take a look at the photobooks there. Some are actually done by Creative Keepsakes people.

kray
09-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks. I will definitely check out Spragues site.

I will also have to check the other sites, Winkflash and Snapfish. I actually order my prints from Snapfish. The only problem I will see is not getting my photos I need in time, so I would have to hybrid them in. But definitely will check them out.

Thanks for your help!

illinimom
09-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Maybe I wasn't clear when I said slip your photos. You work with digi photos on the site and insert them onscreen. They then print them into a book. The first book I ordered was printed and delivered in less than a week. The longest had been about 2-1/2 weeks during a sale.

kray
09-09-2009, 05:15 AM
Yes, you said it right.....it was me that didn't say it right. I am needing to get actual photos from my inlaws to upload to my computer so I can use them on digi pages.

I was going to do scrapbooks last year and asked my sil for some photos, but she flaked out on me. I did try on the sly getting photos from both my mil and fil, but that didn't work either. Arrghh! This was one of the reasons why I was also thinking hybrid pages....if I don't get the photos prior to me ordering, then I can hybrid them in later....but I don't want to do that.

Really aggravated at my SIL at the moment....I have asked her for the photos several times before. She also has the video of my wedding of 4 years ago and never gave it to me or my hubby. I have asked for it, but never got it.

I can actually start on the pages now as I know what I want on them, then slip the photos on the pages before ordering.

I have my step-mil on Facebook....I should check there to see if she has some photos I can copy....only problem is, I think a lot of them are group shots and I want individual shots.

hmmmm....need to get creative in getting these photos.

kray
09-09-2009, 05:17 AM
Oh.....just thought of something....my mil is coming this weekend for one day. My stepdaughter is having a golf tournament for her high school soccer team....maybe I can try to convince her I don't have any updated photos of her and her husband and also some family......I have family photos on the wall....but I don't have any of her w/ her husband.

kray
09-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Just checked out snapfish and really like the album they have. I actually ordered from them before a while back w/ my son's artwork (photos of them) and loved the book.

The problem here, is that I will likely be adding additional pages to my step-mil's book and if it is already bound together, will not be able to add. So....on to the next site to check them out. It is actually exciting doing something new.