PDA

View Full Version : Card Drive for Soldiers

Janice
07-28-2009, 09:57 PM
ALSO IN ONLINE CROPS.................

As most of you know my husband is deployed to Iraq, and will be there for the next 12 to 18 months. This is a hard time not only the guys overseas but also their families. So I would like for the First 2 weeks in August to a be a online CARD DRIVE FOR SOLDIER'S not actually a card for a soldier but a card that a soldier can send home to his/her family. So the inside of the card should be left blank for the soldiers to fill out. I have ask my husband if this would be an idea that they would like or want and he said yes that is was an awesome idea for the people overseas. So starting Friday July 31st to Sunday Aug 9th will be SAS first card drive. Your time will be greatly appreciated, and I know first hand the loved ones getting the card will appreciate it too. If anyone has any questions please send me a pm. Once you get the cards you want to send please pm and I will send you out my address once I get all the cards I will send them in hopefully a BIG box to my husband. I will post up challenges once the time comes closer, anyone else with a challenge idea please feel free to post. If this goes well hopefully we can do this other times of the year.

Thank you Janice

mommaidwf
07-28-2009, 10:44 PM
I think this is a great idea! How about it ladies? Let's have an online crop this weekend to kick it off!

britishgirl
07-28-2009, 10:54 PM
it sure is a great idea

Cyndi
07-29-2009, 07:38 AM
:) I'm in. http://www.pic4ever.com/images/dancegirl2.gif

LuLu
07-29-2009, 08:06 AM
This is a great idea! I already have some cards made that I can send in already and this will be a great way to use up my mountain of scraps. I'm looking forward to the challenges.

eta: I just had a thought; the cards shouldn't be heavily embellished, right? It should stay pretty thin so it'll be easier to mail?

IrishMom
07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Wonderful idea - g

laurat99
07-29-2009, 09:10 AM
I have a bunch of cards waiting for places to go other than my card box. A friend of mine did this for her DH when he was deployed, and said that kid's birthday, parent's (of the soldier) birthday and anniversary cards were all appreciated. I'll PM you, Janice.

sprout
07-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Janice, if you want you can get included with www.cardsforheroes.org (http://www.cardsforheroes.org). They do this kind of thing year around & are an awesome group. Check them out.

ScrappySam
07-29-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm in!!!! Remember, gals, to include envelopes, too.

ericalauren13
07-29-2009, 11:35 AM
yea, ill do it too.

mommaidwf
07-29-2009, 11:42 AM
I do think thinner cards would probably be better. Because don't forget if it doesn't fit through their little slot it costs more to send.

Cass17
07-29-2009, 11:44 AM
This is going to be great. I'm so happy that we can do something for them, even if it's just providing cards for them to send home.

What do we do about envelopes?

Janice
07-29-2009, 11:48 AM
THANKS SAM AND CASSIE...... i didnt think about that YES PLEASE SEND ENVELOPES too, ones that will match the cards. i am not a card make so i just dont have them laying around i buy mine premade in sets.... i know i know i buy mine...sorry ladies

Cali4niaGirl
07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm joining in! I love making cards,especially for a great purpose!

judyjay
07-29-2009, 12:54 PM
This is great Janice. I'll be sending you some. My dear sil is now stationed at Ft. Hood. I'm so excited to have my baby girl & grandkids close to me now. He's looking at deploying again probably in Feb. When he was there the 1st time, I did this & he said that the soldiers loved it. It makes things just a tiny bit easier for them & they certainly need that!

canadian*girl
07-29-2009, 03:11 PM
I'd love to join in... Hopefully I'll be able to send you some cards, Janice! I'll have to visit the craft stores first though; no envelopes over here, either. =P

Cass17
07-29-2009, 10:31 PM
THANKS SAM AND CASSIE...... i didnt think about that YES PLEASE SEND ENVELOPES too, ones that will match the cards. i am not a card make so i just dont have them laying around i buy mine premade in sets.... i know i know i buy mine...sorry ladies

oops I didn't see that Sam asked about envelopes earlier

jujuann
07-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Janice, I hope to participate also. I'll check to see what I have available.

sprout
07-30-2009, 11:07 AM
What I understand from CardsForHeroes.org, the thickness doesn't matter since they are sent military service mail & don't pay for it when they are are in combat zones.

Misty
07-30-2009, 10:00 PM
I would love to help you out too! I'll get busy with it--what is the deadline?

Janice, call me when you get a chance, we keep missing each other.

Misty

Scrappin' Sue
08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd love to participate! I just saw a piece on national news today that touched my heart. A lady had young children making small pillows for soldiers since they don't have any. They fold up clothes to use as pillows. One soldier, upon returning to the U.S., visited this woman & the children to thank them personally. He said it meant so much to him & reminded him of his small children back home! It was so sweet. So anything we can do for our soldiers, as small as it may seem, is appreciated!!