PDA

View Full Version : New Cricut with Pen

ginnyathome
05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi. I am new to this forum. My name is Ginny and I am from Kansas. My question - I am considering buying a Cricut and have seen some discussions about the new version having a pen to draw. I have googled a serch for a video on how that works but couldn't find one. Would one of you knowledgable ladies describe how that works and what it is good for? Thanks for much! Ginny

ginnyathome
05-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Hi. I am new to this forum. My name is Ginny and I am from Kansas. My question - I am considering buying a Cricut and have seen some discussions about the new version having a pen to draw. I have googled a serch for a video on how that works but couldn't find one. Would one of you knowledgable ladies describe how that works and what it is good for? Thanks for much! Ginny

akgrniz
05-18-2007, 10:57 AM
try www.qvc.com, (http://www.qvc.com,) they are the only ones who have releases this model with the pens. On another thread it was said that the markers will be available for purchase later this summer. Usually QVC will have a video but not always. You can try www.cricut.com (http://www.cricut.com) to see if they do too. I have seen they have video's but I can't recall seeing this model though. Hope that helps!

akgrniz
05-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Well I guess I didn't exactly answer your question, so I will now looking back!

THe cricut cuts out what you tell it to from the cartridges words, phrases, images, and with the pens it draws what you what then you can go back out the blade back in and cut out what you had it draw. It will outlined then. You can either just have it draw or cut or both. QVC has 7 pens, 6 exclusive to them and black. Looks pretty cool if you ask me!!

Now I hoped that helped you a bit!

Cali4niaGirl
05-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Here is a post from the Cricut board about how a woman LAST YEAR used small markers in her cricut to draw. So you can buy the current machine and get this same feature before the Cricut markers are even released! Buy the Crayola Pipsqueak Skinnies (16 for $3.97 at WM) and the slip on pencil grips....

I have not tried it yet, but will soon when next payday comes, to buy markers.
this Cricut can draw (http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=25179)

Cass17
05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Cricut cust. service told me that the colors of pens QVC offers won't be released for sale, but other colors will be. I like that idea of the Crayola skinnies. I'm not sure how useful the outlining in pen would be. I'm not sure that I would even use it for that.
Keep in mind that if you buy the Cricut II from QVC then you won't get the George cartridge (only avail. with the original), but you'll get Cuttin up and Opposites Attract and the pens. I heard Michael's is coming out with a bundled package as well...who knows what will be in that one.

Cass17
05-18-2007, 11:25 AM
It would be cool if the cricut could emboss with some kind of embossing pad instead of cushioned mat and an emb. stylus instead of the blade. I wonder if that would work.

Cali4niaGirl
05-18-2007, 11:27 AM
hmmm, embossing? that would be cool!

mommaidwf
05-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Embossing does sound neat Cassie! The markers though, I kinda think it's dumb. You can just ink or chalk the edges of whatever you cut to acheive almost the same effect. And I have to wonder how much of a pain is it to line the image back up when you take the maker out and put the blade back in.

Taffy
05-18-2007, 12:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mommaidwf:
Embossing does sound neat Cassie! The markers though, I kinda think it's dumb. You can just ink or chalk the edges of whatever you cut to acheive almost the same effect. And I have to wonder how much of a pain is it to line the image back up when you take the maker out and put the blade back in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I CONCUR!!!!

I ink/chalk just about everything anyways.. LOL that was my first thought when i saw this lil machine.. but to each to her own, right?

The embossing sounds wayyy kewl! http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ginnyathome
05-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Thank you all for the information. Katie - I did check both sites you mentioned. The Cricut site has some very good videos about both the original and the Cricut Expressions but none mentioned the pen function so I really appreciate the information posted about that. I did notice that they say the Expressions cuts chipboard but cutting the same thing up to 4 times. Has anyone here used, or seen used, that function? If it works, that might be the direction I go. Thanks again all. Ginny

Taffy
05-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I cut a thinner chipboard w/my cricut this week - i changed the blade pressure and the pressure dial to 5.

ginnyathome
05-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Well, I guess I won't be looking for a Cricut anymore! This evening, my oldest son (43) came in with an early birthday present for me - a Cricut!!!! I was so excited my throat is now sore. I am starting to set it up but had to stop and share with you kind and helpful ladies! Taffy - it's good to know that the original (which this is) cuts lighter weight chipboard. Thank you. Ginny

akgrniz
05-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Congrats!! You are going to love it!!

Cass17
05-18-2007, 06:03 PM
You're going to love it! Have fun tonight playing!!

Cali4niaGirl
05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Yippee! Happy early Birthday to you!! what a great son! Have fun learning and playing with your new Cricut.

Taffy
05-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Happy birthday and CONGRATS on your new toy!!! WIHOO!!!!!

ginnyathome
05-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Well. It works and it's great fun! Ginny

CoastalScrapper
05-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Ginny,

I'm new to the board and also a soon to be new owner of a cricut script. I've had my eye on one for some time now, but just didn't take the plunge. When QVC offered this new one with the markers this past Wed., I just had to it. They told me it will arrive on or before June 1st, and I hope I can last that long, LOL. http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I'm glad to hear you love yours. Was it easy to set up and use?

Cass17
05-19-2007, 02:52 PM
You'll have to let us know how you like the pens.

jujuann
05-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Ginny, Don't you just love surprises!! I'm thrilled for you, Coastal too.

flo
05-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Ginny,

From dscussions on other boards and contact by someone with Provo (makers of the Cricut), your original Cricut WILL be able to use the pen cartridge when it becomes available. The Cricut Script we were told is the EXACT same machine. The name was changed to Cricut II because it was offered with the pen cartridge.

mommaidwf
05-20-2007, 09:17 AM
Congrats to you both! The cricut is a fun little bug to have!

ginnyathome
05-21-2007, 08:14 AM
You all have such great information! ... and so much encouragement! I am just finishing my first layout with a Cricut-cut title. When it's done, I'll try to post it on layouts if I can figure out how. Thanks again - Ginny

Taffy
05-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Ginny! can't wait to see what you make w/your cricut! http://forum.startascrapbook.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif congrats, again!! WIHOO!!!!

Schloglett
05-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Great ideas, hadn't even considered....thanks. Lisa