PDA

View Full Version : Week 1: Thinking Inking

Cass17
06-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Here's a link to a 9 week free inking class by Jennifer McGuire..love her!
http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/cg_display.asp?cmd=display&seed_id=29821
there's going to be 27 videos all together.

LuLu
06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks Cassie. Now, I have something else I need to buy. LOL. These inks and techniques look like it would be easier to do than using a brayer. I was using a brayer to get the same effect on one of my cards and I really wasn't getting the hang of it.

Cass17
06-15-2009, 01:12 PM
I asked her where she got the craft board. I would like to get one of those. Hopefully she'll email me back soon.

LuLu
06-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Is it a craft board or a craft sheet? I was thinking I would be shopping for one of those craft sheets. Right now all I use is paper, paper from one of those ols scrap packs where the patterns are so outdated that I never really liked.

Cass17
06-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't know. I thought she said board in the video and I've seen her use that board/sheet in other videos. I'm thinking it's maybe somekind of plastic or rubber thing. Who knows. I googled it and still couldn't find it. She said it was by Ranger.

Cali4niaGirl
06-15-2009, 01:32 PM
THANKS for linking us to this! I have only watched a portion so far, but I am loving all the various techniques in just ONE video!

I also just added 2 new colors this past week to my other 4 Distress Inks. (Would you believe I got the Broken China color at my M's for only $1.99!! I think it must have been a computer pricing error- in my favor!)

There is a nonstick Craft Sheet by Ranger that is fabulous! (and probably what she is using under those tags in the video). I don't about a craft board though.
Here is a link to the Craft Sheet: http://www.rangerink.com/products/prod_inkssentials_craftsheet.htm

You can buy these at M's as well ( or at least someone's version of one). Mine is smaller.

Cass17
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
I found it, it is a sheet
http://www.createforless.com/Ranger+Inkssentials+Non-Stick+Craft+Sheet+15x+18/pid99473.aspx?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cse

Cass17
06-15-2009, 01:35 PM
sorry shari, i didn't see your post until after I posted mine

Cali4niaGirl
06-15-2009, 01:36 PM
ah! you found and posted while I was editing to include my link!

Cali4niaGirl
06-15-2009, 01:37 PM
LOL! we did again! too funny.

Cass17
06-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Joann's has them for $12.59!

LuLu
06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the links. LOL I wonder if ACM has them? My DH bought a gift card for me for our anniversary that I still haven't used. Maybe I could pick one of those up and some of the inks a foam applicators, hmmm.

Will that original link hook up to the other classes or will have to search for them? I can't wait for the rest of them. I'm glad she's giving 3 per week. That's going to be a lot of classes.

Cass17
06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
The link probably won't work, but I'll post them if I remember.

Let me know if you see the craft sheet at ACM. They should be about $9 with the 50% coupon. Although ACM has them online and they're more expensive than the suggested retail price. I know the stores don't have the foam applicators, only the alcohol ink ones. I had to get mine online. I got some last year.
I wish I knew about this yesterday since I was at Joanns.

sprout
06-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Got a bunch of coupons for this week - looks l found what to use them on.

ScrappySam
06-15-2009, 08:08 PM
WoW -- I just watched the first one --- and I sure didn't know all that. THANKS FOR THE SITE TIP, Cass!

Cali4niaGirl
06-15-2009, 08:18 PM
I think these would be fun techniques for challenges- to incorporate into a card or layout.

LuLu
06-16-2009, 05:37 PM
The link probably won't work, but I'll post them if I remember.

Let me know if you see the craft sheet at ACM. They should be about $9 with the 50% coupon. Although ACM has them online and they're more expensive than the suggested retail price. I know the stores don't have the foam applicators, only the alcohol ink ones. I had to get mine online. I got some last year.
I wish I knew about this yesterday since I was at Joanns.

I stopped at J's today and bought the craft sheet. I didn't buy the inks yet and they did not have the foam applicators. I wonder if you could just use those cheap makeup sponges? I think the ones I have are like foam. I'm also wondering what the different is between the distress ink pads to alcohol ink or to other ink pads.

Looking forward to seeing more of these classes.

ETA: I forgot about the craft sheet... Mine is kinda warpped. Is that normal when you first get it? I'm thinking it'll flatten out if I use a heat gun on it. I also noticed that they say not to fold it on the box but they loosely folded it to get it into the box. Unless I picked up a box that someone had returned and they put it in the box wrong and that's why it's warped.

sprout
06-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't have that particular craft sheet but I have one & I keep it rolled up in it's box. I tried the makeup sponges & the problem is they won't adhere to the applicator & trying to use them with your fingers is extremely messy & not very even. The difference in the ink is that it stays wet longer & doesn't fade with water (at least that what they claim). I've tried a couple of the techniques & they are not as easy she makes them look. When I bought my foam applicatiors today I forgot to look for the Distress Embossing Ink so tried VersaMark but I either got too much water & not enough. I guess pratice is the key.
P.S. I found the applicators at a rubber stamp/scrapbooking store. Neither Jo's nor M's had them or the embossing ink.

LoriS.
06-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I'll have to go back and read the rest of this thread but if you put a piece of sticky velcro on a makeup sponge it will then stick to your applicator. I have washed mine and the velcro stayed on, but I didn't dry it. You could even take some sew on velcro and just glue it to your sponges

Cass17
06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
I have a few of the distress inks, but I haven't tried them on any technique in an ink to ink comparison. that might be a good thing to try.

Cali4niaGirl
06-17-2009, 12:31 PM
You can do the edge blending technique (rubbing color in from the mat onto the paper) using chalk or dye inks with a sponge applicator, but like Jennifer said, those won't blend as nicely as these Distress Inks do, and you definitely won't be able to get the cool water wicking and spots.

*PART 2 video is posted at 2Peas!! *

LuLu
06-17-2009, 01:09 PM
*PART 2 video is posted at 2Peas!! *

I looked and couldn't find it:(. I'm not too smart today.

Cyndi
06-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I looked and couldn't find it:(. I'm not too smart today.

I found it

if you click on the link that Cassie put up and the scroll to under the video it has a link that takes you to the educational board and it's about 2 or 3 threads down.

LuLu
06-17-2009, 01:56 PM
I found it

if you click on the link that Cassie put up and the scroll to under the video it has a link that takes you to the educational board and it's about 2 or 3 threads down.

:o Thanks! I found it now. :o

Cass17
06-17-2009, 08:29 PM
I was just coming to post the new video. I didn't realize the original one would wor.

Cass17
06-17-2009, 08:45 PM
I just watched it and I have that same stamp. I haven't used it yet, so now I'm totally inspired to break it out! I also need to see what color distress inks I have. I did a card last year with that water spritz technique and distress inks.
http://www.startascrapbook.com/gallery/files/5/2/2/sympathy_card.jpg

sprout
07-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Are they not doing a class today because of the holiday or are they just late getting it up?

p2pplady
07-06-2009, 07:08 PM
these are the coolest videos. I have learned so much!!
Dorothy