PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Software question?????

LoriS.
06-01-2009, 12:16 PM
A long time ago I had a program called I think Micro cookbook. It was a program that came with recipes but you could also enter your own and then you could search by keywords like specific ingredients, lowfat etc. I am now looking for a more advanced database type program and was wondering if anyone uses one and what they like/don't like about it. I have A LOT! of recipes to enter and don't want to spend a ton of time to find out I should have got a different program. Primarily I'm concerned with running out of room (if that's even possible) and not being able to sort by enough different ways. Thanks for your input.

illinimom
06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I love mine, but I am on a Mac. I found mine by going to VersionTracker.com and searching cookbooks, then reading reviews and trying a few out. Good luck.

LoriS.
06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
I checked out that site but they only listed three share ware programs and none listed Vista as an operating system so I am afraid I would have issues. What is the name of your program Kim? Maybe they make it for Vista too?

LuLu
06-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Lori, I have some software and Vista. I don't think I ever tried loading it onto this computer. I'll have to dig it out but I think it's called "MasterCook." It comes with tons of cookbooks and options to enter your own cookbooks. I'll let you know when I find it.

What ways did you want to search?

Cass17
06-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I have an old version of Mastercook. I remember really liking it. You could put in a recipe and it would give all the nutritional info on it like calories, etc. then if you wanted to make a large quantity it would figure out all the measurements for you. Also you could exchange recipes with other who have the same program. I should find mine and see if it works on my laptop.

LuLu
06-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I found the software. It's MasterCook Suite version 5.02 from SierraHome. It has a date of 1998. It has Betty Crocker's name on it. I tried bringing up the website they have on the cover but it not working. I'm not sure if this is the one I was first using; it seems to me it was different. Do you want me to try to load it onto my computer with Vista?

Cass17
06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Luann - if we both load it we could probably share recipes pretty easily. I have to look for mine, but I'm not sure I have time to spend entering recipes right now.

QuesMom
06-02-2009, 08:53 PM
I have an older version of MasterCook and I just love it! I have Windows XP and Vista and do not have any trouble using it...

I have been entering recipes for about 4 years on it...

QuesMom
06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Found it! MasterCook 9.0....you can get it on Amazon...check it out here is the link and I am ordering it for myself!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B7TBNE/ref=asc_df_B000B7TBNE810839?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=dealt221690-20&linkCode=asn

LoriS.
06-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks ladies for all the info, I'll have to do some more checking on it when I feel better.

LuLu, I want to be able to search by key words like chocolate, or several key words, I also want to be able to search by categories like desserts, main dish, or sometimes more specifically like pie or meatless main dish, hope that helps

LuLu
06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Lori, if I remember correctly... (which is a crap shoot), I think the search function is even more involved than what you are looking for. I think I was able to search using certain ingredients or not using ingredients. I'll see if I can load it up soon.

illinimom
06-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I used to use Master Cook, too, and also loved it. But they quite making it for Mac. That's when I found the one I use now. He made it very easy for me to import my old Master Cook recipe's so that was awesome. Sorry Lori...it's Mac only.

http://www.3caam.com/index.html

illinimom
06-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Hey Lori,
When I did a search of Version Tracker I found several freeware/shareware options. Here's a link to my search

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/qs.php?mode=basic&action=search&str=recipe&srchArea=windows%7Cvista&submit=Go

And here's another I've heard a lot about/

http://www.mealmaster.com/

LoriS.
06-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Well geez wonder what was wrong when I searched lol. Thanks, I'll check it out.

LuLu
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Lori, I loaded my software and it looks fine. I haven't really used it and I don't plan to so I don't know if it'll crash on vista. I just found it awkward to try to make something from the computer; I would have to either print or write it out. You can have this if you wanted it.