PDA

View Full Version : Help?

canadian*girl
05-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Okay, so I was thinking about high school graduation a few days ago, and even though it's still about a year or two away, and I came up with a great grad gift for my best friend: a scrapbook (how original right?). =D Anyways, by the time high school is over, she will have been my best friend for 14 and a half years. I want the scrapbook to be extra special, so I wanted to start gathering ideas and doing Some pages now so that it'll look extra good when I give it to her. However, I'm also having a hard time coming up with ideas and titles for pages that aren't all the same, and I was wondering if you ladies could help me:
- find some way to organize my thoughts and ideas
- give advice on ways to make it a bit less stressful
- and maybe ideas or suggestions for pages or titles that I could use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'd like to apologize in advance for all the questions I will probably be asking... I just want this scrapbook to turn out great. =D Thank you!

mommaidwf
05-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Maybe you could do pictures of you both doing things together that go in chronological order. I think I would start the process by deciding what pictures I wanted to use. And then I would pick a general color theme for the entire album instead of doing each page whatever color. Maybe your favorite color and her favorite color. Then I would work on collecting embellishments and paper to coordinate. As far as titles, I always use a title based on what the pictures are about. I'm not real original in that department, lol.

illinimom
05-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree. I'd start sorting pictures and gather supplies. Go get a set a page protectors and group the photos into those. Ziplock baggies would also work. I don't know that I'd stick to one color scheme. I'd gather my photos first, and then let my inspiration lead me in that. If you do uniform colors are the way to go, maybe your HS colors?

There are some good poem and title sites that my also inspire you. Get a set of index cards and put on in each baggie. As you get ideas, write them on the card. And if you get inspired for something you don't have photos for YET....get a new baggie with a card and write it down. Keep a list of photos you still want to get. Add embellishments and papers to the baggies, too. Once you have a good idea of what you want to do, you can pull a baggie and start the book. Sounds fun. Good luck with it!

ginnyathome
05-29-2009, 09:23 PM
I did an album for my oldest dgd last year. I highlighted activities that she'd been involved in (you could emphasize those you two do together), honors she'd received, friends. I started the album with a page - Reflections On - then listed what was important to her and made sure I did at least one layout for everything I listed. Also had her make a list of what had been important to her up to that time. On this page, I had a copy of her grad photo as well as some of her growing up. I finished the album with a page about what comes next (in her case, it was a photo of her in front of the college where she just finished her freshman year). I think what you are doing is an unusually thoughtful gift and I know she will cherish it. Ginny

LoriS.
05-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I would add a notebook to your supplies, maybe even one that you could carry in your purse or backpack. It would be place to jot ideas, but also stories of things you have done together, or funny things she has said. It will be a kick for her to read back over something she said a couple of years ago and has forgotten all about. Sometimes it's the silly things we remember that makes memories. For example the time that I struted my stuff in front of the cutest guy in school when we were all at a McDonalds and then when my friend could stop hyperventilating with laughter informed me I had a french fry stuck to my bum. :)

jujuann
05-30-2009, 12:51 AM
What a wonderful and thoughtful gift idea. I'm sure you will do a terrific job. Just think about your friend and her ideas, what the 2 of you do together, things she does on her own, and her hope for the future. Include any honors, awards, highlites and don't forget the fun times. It will be great.

gluemore girl
05-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Remember that sometimes the stories don't go with the pictures and they don't have to... so if you want to remember a particularly fun time, write that story on a page and use any picture to illustrate it. Hope this makes sense but I know it is something I don't think about when I'm scrapping and then I see someone else do it...
the stories will mean as much as the pictures and beautiful pages. Have fun with this.

PaperPossibilities
05-30-2009, 10:22 AM
You are going to make your friend so happy :) Good for you for making an album for your friend.
You have received some wonderful ideas already. Another one might be to make a way for some hidden journaling to be included. Paper Bag Albums (http://www.papercraftcentral.com/paper-bag-album.html) are good ways of doing this. If you already have a nice album you are going to use, you could still use the paper bag idea to store personal emails, notes, stories you don't necessarily want everyone to see right away, iykwim? You could also do this with tags hiddden behind photos, or special paper pockets you might make. You could also include things like movie tickets, badges, flyers, or any other memorabilia that is special to you in the pockets.
Quotes about friendship, special times, school, sports, drama, growing up, fashion, graduation, boys, the future, or anything else that is special to you can add a lot to a page. I like to use The Quote Garden (http://www.quotegarden.com/) to find inspirational quotes - their collection is amazing! You can also google a word such as 'friendship + quotes' and come back with some interesting sites.
Something else you might consider is to make your own CD or DVD or flash drive with your memories/special songs/poems etc on it - ask some other school friends and/or teachers to record something about your friend on it. (I like using DVDs or CDs cos they are flat and therefore easier to scrap). Imagine being able to play back your voices in ten year's time?
HTH!

Cass17
05-30-2009, 10:30 AM
You can do it like a story of your friendship. Start with how you met, tell the story and if you don't have a photo for it, just scrap the story and your thoughts for that page. They kind of move on to things that you've done together, etc.
Or... maybe pick a theme (like and ABC book) on why you're best friends or things you like about her and do it as a mini book like 8x8 or 6x6 to make it faster. If you do ABC then the titles all won't be the same.

judyjay
05-30-2009, 11:27 AM
If you have any certificates or can borrow some that she has without giving it away, you can scan these to your computer. Then you can print them out at any size that works for your page. You can include these in the album also. You might even make some certificates on your computer also, like for "world's greatest friend," etc. When I did my children's scrapbooks, I usually scanned the awards they received, resized them & put them on a page. Often, certificates take up the whole page so scanning & resizing them makes a much nicer looking page. Then the originals can be stored somewhere.

ericalauren13
05-30-2009, 12:44 PM
well I am doing a book for all of my Band concerts and honor bands, and I am using my schol colors, maroon and gray, because it is giong to be a book of all my school years for playing the band. But for your book, if you are doing just things that you did at/throughout the schoolyears, then I would suggest doing yur school colors. Also, you could get graduation programs, prom tickets, any other stuff to add to your page with your pictures. But like everyone else has said, get your pictures together and put them in order from when you guys met until now. Do special places that you guys went to together (D.C. or any other field trips) and just put it all together!
Also, I like the stuff Susan said, about the CDs, because you can record you guys as a video or something and then she can watch it when ever she likes. But then how she hides away the stuff in tags or bags, but you could make a zig-zag paper folded litle book(about 3''x5'') to put on a page and then add movie tickets, or other pictures that you want in your book but you want only one page of it or something. (I will send you a picture of this that I did)

All of you ladies had great ideas!! Also Jennifer, when you are done, we all want to see your book!

canadian*girl
05-30-2009, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! You have some great ideas, and have given me some great ways to get started. I'm really looking forward to this because I know that she is a scrapbooker too, and I know that she'd absolutely love something like this... =D I really liked the ideas of stories having their own pages. Some things that we did together, I don't have photos for, so I probably never would have thought to include them, so thank you especially for that idea! I think that I might just end up using the papers that coordinate with the photos the best though, because our school colours changed dramatically elementary school from kindergarten to grade eight was white black and red, and our high school now is navy light blue and white (complete with uniforms to match! lol!). Anyways, thanks again, I loved reading all of the ideas!