PDA

View Full Version : Bread Maker help

Cher56
03-02-2009, 06:26 AM
I can't seem to get my crust to not turn out tough. I have made 4 loaves of bread now and all the crust turns out tough. I have it on med for crust color and have tried dark and light and it seems to still be tough. What am I doing wrong? The bread is good inside though.

jujuann
03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey! Thanks for the suggestion! This would be a good day to make bread. I don't have an answer for you. My family likes what we call "hard rolls" so I don't know how tough you are talking about.

Cher56
03-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Judith, tough is when you can cut the crust or tear it. LOL. I have a hard time with crust for some reason. I like my crust crunchy some but not where you have to pull your teeth out to eat it. LOL.

tlc3plus
03-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Cher are you using bread flower? I know that makes a difference when baking in an oven. Also try a little less.. for some reason I remember this. If nothing helps ... remember rich people like it hard! :p

Clarinda

javamom
03-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I was thinking maybe the flour might make a difference too. I had a bread machine but finally got rid of it- the bread was so small & the machine was so big and took up so much room. I do remember I had to experiment a lot to get it right, fortunately the kids were little then and loved to eat up the "mistakes". LOL

ginnyathome
03-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Sorry. I've never used a bread machine. I still bake bread from a recipe book my Mom got in the 1930's. Ginny

jBlaze
03-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I have the same problem, crust is thick and tough, seems like no matter what I try. We eat it warm and that is good, but the rest of the loaf is pretty much just good for toast.

momsisme
03-16-2009, 11:20 PM
wish I could help my bread machine is still in the box have never used it yet it has only been 3 years