PDA

View Full Version : Bread Maker

Cher56
01-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I want to buy a bread maker to make fresh bread, but one time my MOM had one and it didn't work so well. Does anyone have one now? How does it work, good or so so. Would you recommend one? I saw one on HSN and thought about buying it. But if they are not worth it, I don't want to waste my money.

Cass17
01-25-2009, 09:33 AM
I have one from about 10 years ago and it works great. I often set it for the dough only setting and then form it into a regular loaf and bake it. I'm sure that the machines are better now. I would get one with a fairly large capacity like 2 lb loaf or higher to give you some options.

luv2craft
01-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Hey Cheryl: You will love it. Mine is actually 21 years old when they first came out and it looks like R2D2 - lol really it does. BUt I use mine for making all my doughs from cinnamon rolls, bread sticks, pizza dough, and just regular old white bread. Mine is by a company called "Dak". If you get one, let me know and I will send you my recipe for pizza dough - finally perfected it and the family loves it.

QuesMom
01-25-2009, 09:51 AM
I have the big 2.5 lbs loaf Oster and I just love it! The one feature that is a must...delay start...

You can set it in the AM...go to work and have bread when you get home! Most of thr new ones have the dough only feature so you can mix and then shape into rolls or different shaped loaves outside the bread maker...

And...they do not have to be the high dollar..name brands to be good and make good bread either...

Cass17
01-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey Cheryl: You will love it. Mine is actually 21 years old when they first came out and it looks like R2D2 - lol really it does. BUt I use mine for making all my doughs from cinnamon rolls, bread sticks, pizza dough, and just regular old white bread. Mine is by a company called "Dak". If you get one, let me know and I will send you my recipe for pizza dough - finally perfected it and the family loves it.

I'll take the pizza dough recipe. I'm having a difficult time finding a good one.
I'd also love to see a photo of your R2D2 machine!

Cass17
01-25-2009, 12:47 PM
I have the big 2.5 lbs loaf Oster and I just love it! The one feature that is a must...delay start...

Yes, that's a great feature. I use that one most every time I use the machine when making the whole thing in it (not dough only)

mommaidwf
01-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I got a bread machine as a wedding gift. I used to love it! Unfortunately it stopped working :(. I really should find another one. I love fresh bread!

luv2craft
01-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Cass will post the recipe tomorrow (monday) when I get home from work! Actually, make pizza today and used the bread machine for the dough. The trick is using olive oil!

Cher56
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
I got my breadmaker yest, but don't have anything to make bread yet. Sigh!!!
But going tomorrow hopefully and get some. I can't wait to smell fresh bread baking. I bought it from HSN it's from Emeril. I hope it's a good one.

Cher56
02-23-2009, 07:58 AM
So far I have made 2 loaves. The 1st was not done in the middle and the crust seemed too hard. I used and went by the recipe that Emeril has in his cookbook that came with the machine. The 2nd loaf I haven't tried to cut yet but the crust seems to be hard also and I used the med setting for the crust. It still looks too light to me though. I went exactly by the recipes because it was my 1st time to use this one. My Mom had one yrs ago and we always made fresh bread. I don't remember the crust being so hard.

Any suggestions on something I might be doing wrong? I have a feeling I did waste my $ on this one. Maybe I should have bought Wolfgang Pucks instead. LOL.

QuesMom
02-23-2009, 10:11 AM
What type of bread are you making...white, whole wheat, ?

White bread seems to me to have a hard darker crust, the amount of moisture in your air will affect the bread also, so not every recipe will come out the same... sometimes you need to adjust the temp and the wet ingredients in your mix...

Cher56
02-24-2009, 07:38 AM
I made one white bread, didn't get done, but I think I know why. The 2nd was a french garlic bread, it's ok, not garlicky enough for me though. I made a white bread yest, the weather was sunny and nice, but it didn't get completely done in the mid but I guess it is enough to eat it. The recipe called for 1 1/2 tsp salt and I think that was too salty so next time I make it I will use less salt.
My DH thinks I wasted my money on this machine. I use to make homemade bread and all kinds of sticky buns and stuff from scratch, doing the kneading and letting it rise and all that and I think he misses the good smell it had when baking, you can't hardly smell the bread as it bakes in the machine.
Maybe the machine just needs to be broken in good.

QuesMom
02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Try this...it will test the ability of the maker and let you know it is working right...

Go to your grocery store and buy a box of Krusteaz bread mix The Wheat Berry is the best, but the others are great too...Make it just the way the box tells you...See how it comes out...I love this bread, I make other kinds from my own ingredients, but this brand is great!

Cher56
02-26-2009, 07:29 AM
Karen, I'll have to try that.

QuesMom
02-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Using this mix was how I learned to adjust my Oster Bread maker so the bread did not get to dark or too light...