PDA

View Full Version : Afghans for soldiers.

LuLu
01-13-2009, 01:51 PM
My niece is stationed in Iraq. She had asked my sister, her mom, to make a couple of afghans for her and her husband (also stationed there). Then my neice mentioned that a lot of her friends could use an afghan; it's gets very cold at night. She said they wouldn't need them after mid April. So I thought I would ask if anyone would be interested in making a quick afghan and mailing it out to her. If you are, just give me a quick PM and I'll give you her address. thanks.:o

QuesMom
01-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Wish I could...I did Chemo Caps and then Socks and Helmet Liners for the Armed Service...I have to finish up what i am on, if I do, I will make sure to PM you!

Taffy
01-16-2009, 03:37 PM
If i knew how to do that, i'd help.. LOL Good luck to your niece. and tell them to be safe.

LuLu
01-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. It means a lot.

Cass17
01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
I feel so bad that they are cold at night. I always thought they were hot.
I don't knit or crochet quickly at all. I probably wouldn't even finish until April or later. I have a friend who crochets fast (and doesn't work full-time). I'll ask her if she's interested in doing this.

LuLu
01-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't have time to crochet one either. I'm still working on my DS's that I was going to give him for Christmas, then his birthday... I was thinking I would make one of those tied fleece ones to mail. It does seem so weird that they aren't really being taken care of over there.

Cass17
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
What about an inexpensive fleece blanket (like a throw) that you sometimes see advertised for like $5. They would be light enough to mail over. I think I've even seen some for 3 for $10 at like a Rite Aid.

Skooter
08-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I know this post is a tad bit old but my husband is currently deployed to Afghanistan and it is hot right there for now but in the winter, it does get cold there. He was in Iraq for over a year as well but never heard him complain about it being cold there lol
Maybe that is the difference between men and women.

Another cheap idea for blankets is to make a fleece blanket. I made one for my husband to take with him because the Army stuff is stiff and scratchy and he loves it. They are very easy to make as well.