PDA

View Full Version : I finally learned to KNIT!

Cali4niaGirl
01-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Two days ago I bought some needles and, thanks to YouTube videos, started knitting!

For over a year I have been wanting to learn to knit- so I could make myself some scarves. Last Christmas I bought a KniftyKnitter small round loom and Hated it. I never picked it up again after the first attempt. I realized I don't want a tube, I want a flat scarf.

I have had so much fun learning various stitches. I have been practicing with different yarn and fiber combinations out of my fiber swap stash to see what they look like together.
I thought I would like a yarn and Fun Fur blend; it looks so delicate on its own, but Boy- it really takes over in a scarf. FUR is right!
Soooo, I think I will stick with a fluffy yarn, or maybe add eyelash for texture. I don't care for the eyelash much by itself in SBing, but it sure looks neat knitted in with yarn.

Anyway- thanks for reading (if you hung in this long). It is fun to learn "new tricks". I feel more domestic already. HAHAHA

OH - Any ideas on what I can make with only ONE skein of yarn/fiber? I picked up several when I was doing swaps, but ONLY one of each style... :rolleyes:

Shari

QuesMom
01-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Welcome Knitter! I knit because it is fun, I enjoy doing it and love the projects I make.

I have been knitting for over 50 years, so if you have questions, ask away!

Dianacraftstoo
01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Welcome to the knit club! I too have been knitting for awhile. I do love it but I don't do that much anymore cause of time. But you can have a wide range of those fun scarfs with all kinds of yarn. I have made a punch of them for gifts. And I do the simple knit dish cloth.
Have fun!!

ScrappySam
01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Goodie for YOU!!!! What fun to learn something new and enjoy it.

Cass17
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Maybe you could make a small purse with 1 skein.

I still never made my socks.

Cali4niaGirl
01-06-2009, 05:47 PM
oooh, a purse would be fun!

Cyndi
01-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Congrats on learning to knit, I can crochet a little bit, but that's it. :)

LuLu
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Congrtats! It's so nice to to sit down and work with yarn. I can knit and crochet but I prefer crochet. It's so nice to make an afghan this time of year.

I love the knitted washcloths. I knitted an hand towel that I still use. I wonder if you could knit flowers? I know you can crochet them.

Dianacraftstoo
01-07-2009, 03:43 PM
I did make a purse with wool yarn and felt it. That was fun! Try one of those with 1 skein.

Taffy
01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I could always use a pot holder ;:) heehee j/k

CONGRATS!! I'm so excited for you!! I've always wanted to learn how to knit, i've crocheted some and 'started' several projects and never finished them! :) hahaha!

LuLu
01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Found another idea in the J's flyer. They had knitted "baby blocks". Each side of the blocks were a different stitch pattern and different colors. I thought a bunch of these would look cute in a basket. You could even use fabric scraps with the knitted pieces.