PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated! Need to vent!

LuLu
12-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I want to crochet hats for my kids for Christmas; I got some really cute patterns. But the thing is, I'm trying to find a hook that is big enough to get the right guage. The pattern calls for an H hook; I have tried using H, I, J, and K. I even used the K hook and made the pattern a size larger for my son and it's still way too small. I cannot find any L or M hooks. I found an N hook but that too big to get the right guage. I got my sister on the hunt but it might take her too long to get them.

Cali4niaGirl
12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
well that is a joy killer! I hope you find what you need soon.

javamom
12-01-2008, 03:13 PM
LuLu, are you using whatever weight yarn the pattern recommends? That can make a big difference in the size of the stitch.

Also, I tend to crochet very tight stitches, and sometimes I have to force myself to relax and crochet more loosely to keep the stitches in gauge.

LuLu
12-01-2008, 03:21 PM
LuLu, are you using whatever weight yarn the pattern recommends? That can make a big difference in the size of the stitch.

Also, I tend to crochet very tight stitches, and sometimes I have to force myself to relax and crochet more loosely to keep the stitches in gauge.

Thanks. Yes, it's the right yarn. I crochet tightly and can't seem to loosen the stitches no matter how much I try. I often have to use a larger hook for my chain foundation than the one I'll use on my project. I'm thinking I might have to use the larger hook, double up the yarn and make the smaller hat.

javamom
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Doubling up the yarn would work great & would make for an even cozier hat! :)

I've had to use a larger hook for the foundation chain too. Don't know why I crochet so tight. Works well that way for some things, not so great for others though.

LuLu
12-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Here's a picture of my DS's hat. I think my DD can use it for one of her dolls. LOL.

QuesMom
12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
LuLu where do you live? Anyplace close to No. CA? I have every hook and knitting needle size there is and I knit and crochet so tight I have to re-do every pattern I use!

Check your guage with the K hook and double yarn. See if that is close....

Cass17
12-01-2008, 11:13 PM
I have one of those large bamboo crochet hooks you can borrow. I'm not sure of the size of it. I'll have to check. BRB. Okay, I can't find them, but I did find an empty package from a size N hook. it probably came from ACMoore. Did you check there.

LuLu
12-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Karen, I'm from PA. I have checked into ordering hooks online but S&H is more expensive the hooks themselves.

Cassie, I checked ACM, J's, M's and Walmart. I found an aluminum N hook at M's. But I really need an L and M. I think there were spaces for these at M's but they were empty. Who knows if they will ever be back in stock.

Thanks anyways.

QuesMom
12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I order a lot from Knit Picks, so the next time I do, I will try to remember to post here and see if anyone needs any needles or hooks. I get free shipping because I spend too much and I can forward on to whoever needs something.

Sorry I'm not much more help right now!

Do you have any yarn shops in town? They carry hooks and needles too.

Cass17
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I forgot to ask you about this when I saw you in ACMoore today. Did you find anything? Also, after you figure out the hook and gauge can I get a copy of the pattern?

Cass17
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Oh, and did you check Joann online? They may have it. They had free shipping on anything (no minimum) yesterday, but I didn't think of that yesterday when I read this.

Cass17
12-02-2008, 02:18 PM
I just checked jOANN and they have a pack of 4

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2873&PRODID=prd34855

FREE SHIPPING IS ON UNTIL SATURDAY!

LuLu
12-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I forgot to ask you about this when I saw you in ACMoore today. Did you find anything? Also, after you figure out the hook and gauge can I get a copy of the pattern?

Sure, I'll let you borrow the book. The book has 13 patterns for kids 2 to 8-year olds: 4 geared toward boys; 8 toward girls and one basic hat.

javamom
12-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Well, the hat is very cute anyway! (if that's any consolation) :)

Cass17
12-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Luann, I know you don't need an N, but I found 2. One says 10 mm and the other says 9mm. The 9mm looks like the older metal type and is smaller than the 10 mm size N. Maybe it's really like a L or M? Your welcome to look at if and if you think it will work you can borrow it.

LuLu
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I found the plastic N at J's and that's what I used to test my guage. I then found an aluminum N at M's. It looks smaller than my plastic one. I still need to test the guage with the aluminum one. Thanks anyways. I've havent had the chance to check since I started crocheting my other Christmas gift projects.

LuLu
12-07-2008, 06:29 PM
I tested my guage using my aluminum N hook last night. It was just a tad to big but the closest I've got so far. I started the hat again and got almost halfway done. I was worried that it would come out to "airy" but it doesn't seem like it's that way. I really don't like working with this hook with this weight of yarn. It's hard to make the stitches. I think I may do my DD's hat with two yarns. She wanted a hat that was striped but I'm getting too frustrated to keep changing the yarn so I'm just going to use the two together.

Cass17
12-12-2008, 08:02 PM
post photos...we want to see!

LuLu
01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I finally got around to taking a picture of my DD's hat and shrinking it for the web. This hat was originally suppose to be striped but since I had to use a larger hook and didn't like how one-ply looked, I combined the two yarns. I'm not crazy about the buttons but my DD likes the hat.

QuesMom
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
The hat is just darling!

Cali4niaGirl
01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
That is cute!

LoriS.
01-09-2009, 05:51 PM
very good job, I bet she does love it

jujuann
01-13-2009, 12:53 AM
Darling. I love the buttons.

LuLu
01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks. I think the reason she picked out this hat was because of the buttons. She didn't realize that I could sew on buttons on any hat.

QuesMom
01-13-2009, 02:11 PM
You got to love kids!...

Cher56
09-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Ya'll are so talented. I have tried crochet, tatting & knitting and can't seem to get my stitches or anything right. My g. grandmother tried to show me many yrs ago but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I envy you all that can do all this kind of craft.