PDA

View Full Version : Beer Butt Chicken

javamom
11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
OK, so the name is really weird... But this is the moistest most delicious chicken ever! Wal-Mart sells a little metal stand you can set the beer can in and it helps support the chicken (located in the beer section)

It's awesome on the BBQ grill, but it also works in the oven too, put a pan under it to catch the juices.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup butter
2 tablespoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
1 (4 pound) whole chicken
1 small potato peeled

DIRECTIONS

Preheat an outdoor grill for low heat.
In a small skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter. Mix in 1 tablespoon garlic salt, 1 tablespoon paprika, salt, and pepper.
Discard 1/2 the beer, leaving the remainder in the can. Add remaining butter, garlic salt, paprika, and desired amount of salt and pepper to beer can. Place can on a disposable baking sheet. Set chicken on can, inserting can into the cavity of the chicken. Baste chicken with the melted, seasoned butter.Pop ptato in the chiken top to keep the steam inside the chicken.
Place baking sheet with beer and chicken on the prepared grill. Cook over low heat for about 3 hours, or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 180 degrees F (80 degrees C).
Discard potato ,serve and enjoy!

OPTIONAL:

You can also use a rub on the chicken and sprinkle some of the rub in the beer instead of the ingredients below.

You can also use soda instead of beer, I've heard gingerale works really well too!

southernbellescrapper
11-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Definitley grabbed my attention with that name...LOL. But sounds really good. I love to cook with beer actually. I make some beer beef fajita's that are good. I don't drink it, but it gives the food such a unique flavor. TFS this one. I will give it a try. :)

kray
11-09-2008, 06:54 AM
We don't drink beer either, but I have seen this type of chicken before. We have the thing it sits on....may have to try it.

Dianacraftstoo
11-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for sharing this I was going to today. I have made alot of these and they are very moist!! :):) Never any leftovers. If you don't like beer try gingerale I have been told works too.

SORRY I did not see this till after I posted!!!!
"OPTIONAL:

You can also use a rub on the chicken and sprinkle some of the rub in the beer instead of the ingredients below.

You can also use soda instead of beer, I've heard gingerale works really well too! "

mommaidwf
11-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Ok, my first thought was beer doesn't have a butt, lol. But this is definitely very intersting. I think I will give this a whirl next time chickens go on sale!

javamom
11-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Ok, my first thought was beer doesn't have a butt, lol.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll34/sonnytrigg40/lmao1-1.gif

Cindy- Gotta Love ya!:D

jujuann
11-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I have several friends who have tried this. We also had a friend who made "Bud" burgers. He actually used Budweiser beer in the burger mix. They were delicious, but I never got his recipe.

coriander
11-09-2008, 05:54 PM
You can also use soda instead of beer, I've heard gingerale works really well too! "

So does Sprite, Coke, and Rootbeer (kind of adds a deep flavor). But don't use diet soda - you need the sugars to make it work right.

Dianacraftstoo
11-09-2008, 10:56 PM
I am sure you would but I have never used anything but beer so I could not tell you about the sodas. Thanks for the information for those who don't use beer.

Cyndi
11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Ok, my first thought was beer doesn't have a butt, lol. But this is definitely very intersting. I think I will give this a whirl next time chickens go on sale!

:D :D Got a little distracted by that comment. Was going to say I've seen the stand things at walmart and
I've put it on my shopping list. :)

coriander
11-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I don't even use the stands... just put the chicken up the ... ahem... middle of the chicken and it stands up... on it's butt. Maybe THAT's why it's called Beer Butt!! :-)