PDA

View Full Version : I almost had to go to the ER today.

Cass17
10-19-2008, 10:01 PM
This would only happen to one of my kids. Let me preface this story with this...My daughter has been putting her hair in her mouth lately and it gets all matted on the ends, etc. So we've been telling her to get her hair out of her mouth constantly for weeks now. So today as I am painting my bathroom she comes in with a strange look on her face. I asked what was wrong and she said her tongue hurts. She had a piece of ice in her hand also. So I look and it looks like there is a round ball shaped piece of tongue at the tip, almost like she bit it, but different. I asked her if she bit her tongue and then she said no, but there's a piece of hair stuck that she can't get out and she started crying. Then I realized that she wound it around so tight that it was digging in to her tongue and she kept pulling to get it out and it just got tighter and tighter. She was in a lot of pain. All I could think was that it would cut through and she would lose a piece of her tongue. It took me about 1/2 hour to finally get it off (and a lot of screaming). I had to use a tweezer until I could find a place to get it under and pull it off. I really thought we would end up in the ER. I was in a total panic.
Now looking back it's almost funny, but not at the time.

copsmom911
10-19-2008, 10:21 PM
That is a funny story Cass! (Well not for the little one) My son got a jalepeno pepper off the table one day after we told him no, and then was screaming grabbing his mouth it took awhile to figure it out, he was two then, he's 30 now and loves jalepeno peppers LOL

ziggyeor
10-19-2008, 11:10 PM
omg that's scary and funny at the same time! maybe now she'll stop!

Ziggy

kray
10-19-2008, 11:50 PM
My son fell out of his bed and bit his tongue in half....we did have to go to the ER and they put stitches in his tongue.....that is the worse place to put stitches....He was 13 when he did this.

So...is your daughter going to chew her hair anymore?

Not fun!

LuLu
10-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Ouch! I'm glad things worked out. but are you going to SB it?

Cass17
10-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Ouch! I'm glad things worked out. but are you going to SB it?

I didn't take a photo. I was in panic mode. I did think about it afterwards. I should have taken a photo so she could see what she did to herself!

So far I haven't seen her put her hair in her mouth since the tongue incident.

Dianacraftstoo
10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
boy that sounds painful but if she learned not to do it anymore then it was not for nothing. Kids do the darness things.

Diana

gluemore girl
10-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh your poor little one!!!
My dd got a round hair brush stuck in her hair about a year and a half ago and I thought I was going to have to take her to the hairdresser to cut it out. I too, was in panic mode and didn't know what to do... I finally pulled the bristles out of the brush and then was able to remove the brush.

thecountryrose
10-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Poor daughter! That is an unusual experience, but leave it to kids! I'll bet she won't be putting her hair in her mouth after this :D. I'm glad you didn't have to make a trip to the ER and that all is well now.

Cass17
10-25-2008, 10:06 PM
Oh your poor little one!!!
My dd got a round hair brush stuck in her hair about a year and a half ago and I thought I was going to have to take her to the hairdresser to cut it out. I too, was in panic mode and didn't know what to do... I finally pulled the bristles out of the brush and then was able to remove the brush.

Oh she did that with a comb a couple of months ago! It was wound up to her scalp! I had to put a ton of conditioner in it and work on the knot for a very long time and I finally got it out.

ScrappySam
10-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Ah that poor child --- what an experience for the both of you to go thru. I'd like to say it gets better as they get older --- nope, just can't do it! LOL

southernbellescrapper
10-27-2008, 02:18 AM
OH my! That is so scary Cass! I'm glad she's ok. :)

scrappin_mom3
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Cass I can remember when my oldest Layton was 4 and he was obsessed with the little pom poms for decorating. He would stick them in his nose and ear and I was constantly telling him one of these days your going to get it them stuck and not be able to get them out. Well, sure enough he did that very same thing. He shoved two of them up his right nostril and I could not get them out ( I tried for like an hour with every pair of tweezers I had). I had to take him to the dr's office ( thank goodness they were still open and I did not have to go to the ER). He learned his lesson!! LOL!!

LoriS.
11-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Cass, I'm sorry this happened to both of you given my experience I would lay money down that she will no longer chew her hair

NYScrapster
01-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Cass, Im so glad that this story has a happy ending....exhausting but happy....your little one is a busy body huh? Im taking notes for my lil one....

Tanisha

Cass17
01-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Tanisha I hope none of the things that have happened to my kids happen to yours.
We had a stone in my son's ear (had to go to the doctor to flush that one out), a craft googly eye up his nose, another child broke his collar bone, my daughter twisted a comb up to the root in her hair (almost had to cut it out), then her whole extremely rare complication from her adenoidectomy that landed her in traction in the hospital a couple of years ago. I guess it could be worse, but you just never know what weird things can happen!

NYScrapster
01-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Good LORD CASS actually I want to say DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNN LOL Your scaring me
because she is walking now...nope not cruising walking and already bumped her head on the door frame of her room...Everyone was yelling and crying in minutes Stressed out

Cass17
01-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I didn't mean to scare you at all. I'm sure she will be just fine.

akgrniz
01-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Cass I am glad that she is okay and no trip to the ER!! I used to chew on myhair when I was a kid and thank goodness that never happened. My mom instead cut my hair short so I couldn't anymore. SO far I have yet to have anything too major with my little guy that required a trip to the doc but he is onyl 3 1/2 YO!!