PDA

View Full Version : I think I want to try socks

Cass17
10-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Has anyone made socks? I saw special yarn just for socks. I'm a little intimidated to try them.

Deb
10-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Socks are fun. I think your best bet is to get a "how to" book on knitting basic socks. I use the regular aluminum needles but I've heard that the wooden needles are better. I bought a set of wooden needles and will try those the next pair I knit. Let me know how it goes.
Deb

QuesMom
10-03-2008, 09:19 AM
The newest way to knit socks (rather than the old double pair, double ended needles) is on one long circular needle. You knit a pair at the same time and I find toe up is the best!

It's best to get a good book, from a yarn shop with someone that can help you through them. Once you learn the basic's they are not that bad to do.

Cass17
10-12-2008, 03:43 PM
I saw instructions with knitting both socks at the same time and it scared me. I have a pair of needles that are attached with a wire or something. I'm hoping I have the right size. I got a skein of yarn yesterday so we'll see if I actually tackle this project.

ScrappySam
10-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Cass, I just found this site: www.yarngear.com/looms/projects1.htm
for knitting socks on the knifty knitter --- they look more like slippers (because the yarn needed to use the knitter) but they look like fun to make. hmmmmm.... may have to try them myself.

javamom
10-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Go for it Cass!You can do i! And there's nothing like homemade socks for winter warmth! My Mom used to make the most wonderful socks and mittens using multiple needles (3-4?? I think it was).

I never got much into knitting, but I would like to give it a go this winter and see if I can master it.

I do love crocheting though, and have just been looking at some really wonderful patterns. DD Rachel loves the crocheted sweater look so I am trying to find a good pattern she might like. and both DD's have requested mittens again this year!

UGH:eek: I should be crocheting not typing!

thecountryrose
10-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Lol! Christi you are funny. I have knitted socks and they aren't that bad once you get going. Just remember to read one step and then complete that step before you go on to the next step. Once you make your first pair you'll be able to crank them out without any problems.

QuesMom
10-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Cass17, Yes, you have a circular needle! That is the cable that connects the two needles. This is what you use for the two at a time method of knitting.

Socks are not considered a starter project, but the two at a time on circular needles is easier to learn than doing them the other way!

javamom
10-25-2008, 08:11 PM
I happened to look at a Knifty Knitter book at ACM and you can make socks & mittens on them too-that sounds more my speed!:o

This is a large book, not the little leaflet. It even has directions for cable stitch w/ the KK Loom! The hats and scarves I've made on there are awesome, so maybe I can learn the cable stitch next! Think I'll add that book to my CHristmas list.:D

Cass17
10-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I studied the directions and I don't think I can do it! Ahhhh

Cass17
10-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Cass, I just found this site: www.yarngear.com/looms/projects1.htm
for knitting socks on the knifty knitter --- they look more like slippers (because the yarn needed to use the knitter) but they look like fun to make. hmmmmm.... may have to try them myself.

Who would have thought that you could do it with one of those. We have the long knifty knitter, not the round one so I don't think I can try them. The yarn I got is really thin so it would make more of a regular sock.

thecountryrose
10-26-2008, 01:20 AM
I studied the directions and I don't think I can do it! Ahhhh
I think that sometimes reading all the directions can make it seem more complex than it is. Just do it one step at a time. Cast on the number of stitches that you need and then move on to step 2. Once you finish step 2, then go to step 3. This was the way that the woman who taught me to knit told me to do it. She often said that doing it one step at a time made it easier. She was really good at it too and an avid knitter! I am fortunate to have all her knitting needles and a lot of her books- she passed way two weeks after her husband did. I am really honored to have her needles and they hold special memories for me. You can do it Cass, I know you can.

Cass17
10-26-2008, 09:43 AM
Wow, she passed away 2 weeks after her husband?

I'll have to compare patterns and find the simplest one and just start (when the kids aren't around).

thecountryrose
10-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Yes, she did. It was really sad. She and her husband were very, very close and we all think she died of a broken heart. It was really hard on their children to bury and grieve both parents in two weeks time. It was really sad for everyone in the neighborhood too. She was a very kind woman and she used to knit Barbie clothes for me when I was little. Then she taught me how to knit. When all of my kids were born she knitted a ton of sweaters and afghans for each one of them. I have lots of good memories of her and her husband. So it really is an honor for me to have her knitting needles and whenever I knit, I think of her.

I know you can knit those socks Cass :)! Really, once you get your first pair done, you will be on a roll from there. Can't wait to see them :).

LuLu
12-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I just found a pattern where you can crochet the socks.

http://www.knitandcrochettoday.com/episodes/pdf/KTV2005C.pdf

I've got too many projects to even think about trying this soon.

Cass17
12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I can't seem to get anything with that link. I think I need to download adobe reader or something.

LuLu
12-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I tried the link; it works on my end. The link is from the latest Coats and Clark newsletter. It's buried in "12 Christmas Ideas" I can e-mail you my newsletter if you'd like.

Wait, here's the link to the 12 Christmas Ideas. The socks are shown in picture #3.
http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Features/12+days+of+Christmas+ideas.htm

I don't think you need adobe for this.

Cass17
12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
thanks. I'm sure I need a reader. I can't open any pdf files.

QuesMom
12-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Download adobe reader 8 it's free and then you can open all the pdf. you want.....

Cass17
12-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I've been trying to download version 9, but it's not working.

QuesMom
12-05-2008, 09:14 PM
What system are you running? Download Adobe 8, their system will add updates for you that way.....