PDA

View Full Version : Being a stepmother

kray
09-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Are there others here that are stepmoms?

Interesting stories to tell?

I am a stepmom...with challenging stepkids (girl 13, boys 19 both)

sbartist
09-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Yep, waving my hand (unfortunately). I have 2 step kids too, one is 24 (I think and female) and the other 22 (male). Neither one of them like me, although I do not know why. I have always been courteous to them. I did not break up their parents marriage - their mom was the one who cheated on my DH and asked for a divorce. They treat their stepdad better than they do their own father, who is the kindest man ever and who treats my own son (15) very well. We just celebrated our 4th anniversary. Thank goodness neither one of them has ever lived with us, nor will they ever. If they fell off the face of the earth, I would never miss them. Ohhh, I'm such a mean stepmommy. You would think by the way they have treated me for the past 5 years (and no we did not live together prior to getting married). Do I sound bitter? Luckily, I generally only have to see them for Christmas and their birthdays. Otherwise, I just tell DH to take them out for dinner/lunch. (His daughter lives in another state, so I'm safe except for Christmas and her birthday.) They pretty much don't acknowledge me, so I want to treat them the same way they treat me. And the longer my DH doesn't bother to stand by me against them, the more fed up I get with them.

I had to kind of chuckle when I was talking to my son about the way my DH's kids treat me. And he kind of enlightened me a little bit (smart kid I have raised). He told me that if his dad were to ever remarry (which he probably never will - besides who would want him?), he wouldn't never like her (stepmom) either.

My son gets along well with my DH (his stepdad) and if I suspect something is brewing, I always put a stop to it - and I don't take sides either. I just ask them both to stop. (This rarely happens though.)

OMG, I need to get off my soapbox, DH's kids just rile me up!

laurat99
09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Bonnie, I am the meanest step-mom ever, not you!

DH's kids are all grown and don't want any contact with him (long story). Their mom "found" me on another board online, so I'm guarded in what I say about the whole situation now.

Karen, best of luck with your stepkids. My advice is to know where you are with DH about them, and don't put up with any crap.

kray
09-19-2008, 02:47 AM
I was curious on other stories as well. I married DH 3 years ago when the his boys were 16 (different moms) and his daughter 10. My son was 16 as well.

I didn't live w/ DH either....I came along way after his divorce and he had a girlfriend in between his ex and me.

Long story short....after trials and tribulations w/ one of his sons, we are ok....we were close at first, but he went wacko for awhile.

The other one is NOT allowed in our home anymore....DH is sticking by this as well. Long story on this kid.....once he turned 18 he left the house and 6 months later he came to visit for 2 weeks....he didn't last in our house for 2 weeks until I told DH no more....his kid is no longer welcome......DH agreed....

My stepdaughter is a delight, however, she is now 13 and very spoiled....DH is realizing he is going to have issues w/ her....at least our relationship is good. She will push the buttons w/ me, but she knows she can go so far and I will push back....taking her cell phone is the best punishment for her....lol

So...I am the meanest stopmom ever too! lol

laurat99
09-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Karen and Bonnie, we need to have a contest on who is the meanest stepmom ever!